StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long ride I noticed there were quite a few dead/dried up bugs on the inner fork tubes. As you all know these bugs dry up very hard. I can't imagine these bugs are too good for the dust/fork seals when the suspenson compresses. I cleaned them off for now, but perhaps a fork tube guard would help.

I wonder if anyone has experienced this as well.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
I try to clean them off after each ride. Still had to clean the seals 2 times due to the bugs. Used the 35mm film trick.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
My solution is Rancho RS 1952 shock boots. Right now I have the bottoms cut off at the second pleat from the bottom and resting against the fork brace on their own springiness. They do limit suspension travel, especially if the tubes are raised. I have mine raised 13mm and use the boots to also prevent the ABS brake junction from hitting the fork brace. I'm willing to sacrifice some travel since I want the brace and the raised tubes for better handling, high speed stability and wind gust behavior. With heavier springs and riding only on pavement, I'm very pleased with the compromise.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The forks have to come off to slide the boots on. Think of it as a good chance to change the fork oil.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Or you can extend the "Bat Ears".
It's just a piece of a mudflap riveted to the back of the Ears.

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
I can't imagine these bugs are too good for the dust/fork seals when the suspenson compresses.
they are not good for the for tubes either

I ride year round in slushy salty winter roads and guess what I have discovered

bug splats are the most corrosive material you bike will probably ever see

if you wait too long to clean them off, you will discover a pit, metal, paint, plastic, some bugs will corrode anything

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts