StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I almost bought one last year and I think I'm gonna do the deed this spring. I'm wondering about the difference that the adjustable windshield will make on the '04 models. According to my dealer, the only negative feedback he's had, in reference to the '03 V-Strom, is wind buffeting for the taller riders. They've got both '03 and '04 models in stock.
I could pick up an '03 and buy a taller windshield or I could go for the '04 with the adjustable windshield.
Another question is in regard to wind protection. If I wanted total wind protection, I guess I'd buy a car. I'm thinking that in the spring, here in Central Alberta, as long as I wear my leathers and use my electric vest it should be ok, and the hand deflectors should help. OK, I guess I'm just thinking out loud. Fact is, I'm also considering the Concours because of the (from what I've heard) excellent protection from the weather. This is usually only a factor in the cool mornings and evenings in spring and fall and I'm probably thinking that way now, because it's -30C at the moment.
I rode my Nomad to Alaska in some pretty miserable weather and it didn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My personal opinions

I'm sure your dealer would give you a great deal on the '03 if he already has '04s on the floor.

I haven't had the stock short windscreen but I can say that there is still some buffeting with the tall screen. If you have leathers and the electric vest I'd say you're good to go. I've been riding mine in 20 degree weather with nothing but my leathers (although I do plan to get an electric vest in the near future) and haven't had any problems. Sounds like you're used to the cold though so you'd be fine. It's really all in knowing how to dress, right? :)

Do a little searching through this forum and you'll find some comparisons between the v-strom and the concourse.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Nomad-O!

Add a pair of HotGrips to the 'Strom. They add an amazingly large amount in comfort as I ride year round in Seattle in temps down to the high 30's. Besides, I found the grips a little too narrow in diameter which led to some hand and wrist pain early on. The hot grips are slightly thicker and solved the problem while giving me toasty paws at the same time.

Wow! We haven't had '03 'Stroms available in Seattle since late September. The '04's do have a few really great updates, notably a different windscreen design, hazard flashers and hand guards that anchor at both sides of the grip, among other improvements.

·
Registered
213 Posts
buffeting on V-strom

I'm only 5'8" and with my Shoei TZ1 helmet I get very little buffeting unless I'm around big trucks. If I wear my HJC LT-12 helmet I do get some buffeting. I have not heard very many good things about the Suzuki tall windshield but have heard some good things about the CBailey screens.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: My personal opinions

thanks Mac

Mac said:
I'm sure your dealer would give you a great deal on the '03 if he already has '04s on the floor.

I haven't had the stock short windscreen but I can say that there is still some buffeting with the tall screen. If you have leathers and the electric vest I'd say you're good to go. I've been riding mine in 20 degree weather with nothing but my leathers (although I do plan to get an electric vest in the near future) and haven't had any problems. Sounds like you're used to the cold though so you'd be fine. It's really all in knowing how to dress, right? :)

Do a little searching through this forum and you'll find some comparisons between the v-strom and the concourse.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I think the trick is to keep the hands warm.
I can handle _some_ buffeting. I had a Vulcan Classic before my Nomad and with a shorter windshield the buffeting drove me Krazee!
I would just as soon have no windshield at all than put up with too much buffeting. The Classic put the wind right around my eyes and at higher speed would push my helmet visor down. The first time I rode down into Utah in the summer, temps of 100 or so, I had to remove the visor.
The Nomad has been a great bike but I'm looking for a little more (a lot more) action and I think the V-Strom will provide that. I'm getting lots of ideas on how to modify it for longer trips and cooler weather.

Woofy said:
Hey Nomad-O!

Add a pair of HotGrips to the 'Strom. They add an amazingly large amount in comfort as I ride year round in Seattle in temps down to the high 30's. Besides, I found the grips a little too narrow in diameter which led to some hand and wrist pain early on. The hot grips are slightly thicker and solved the problem while giving me toasty paws at the same time.

Wow! We haven't had '03 'Stroms available in Seattle since late September. The '04's do have a few really great updates, notably a different windscreen design, hazard flashers and hand guards that anchor at both sides of the grip, among other improvements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts