StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in those areas next week and would like any tips or hints on great food and cheap entertainment for those and surrounding cities. Will not be on the V-strom. :(
Just the wife and I, we like everything
Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Camodog,
In Albany, if you like Asian food- Blue Spice on Central Avenue is excellent Vietnamese food. If you like Japanese- the best sushi in Albany is Koto on Wolf Road near the airport. You cannot go wrong with either restaurant. I have never been there, but 677 Prime on Broadway in downtown Albany is considered one of the best restaurants in the area. Good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just southeast of Buffalo.

Greatest classic roast beef ever.

http://www.schwabls.com/menu.pdf

To the uninitiated, the Buffalo specialty known as Beef on Weck sounds simple enough: sliced roast beef on kummelweck -- a German kaiser roll sprinkled with caraway seeds and pretzel salt -- with a touch of au jus and a helping of horseradish. But for the more-than-curious, and the downright fanatical, Schwabl's -- around since 1837 -- is, hands down, the place to get one. Clad in white from head to shin, servers have the reassuring air of German nurses, while behind the counter a silent man in shirtsleeves, tie, and apron concentrates on carving your center-cut roast to order. It's fairly mesmerizing just watching the preparation, if only as a prelude to the mouthwatering meal itself. Don't forget to order a side of the German potato salad, which is also outstanding. P.S.: You don't have to order Beef on Weck -- selections ranging from seafood plates to Hungarian goulash round out the menu.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yes indeed.

Buffalo has many great venues for Jazz and Blues as well if you like music.:yesnod:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
the original chicken wings, Darwin Martin House, ....

Anchorbar, supposedly to birthplace for "wings"
Anchor Bar

Darwin Martin House, if you are into architecture.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House Complex :: Home

And if you are in downtown during office hours, a not well known venue is the observation platform in the tower of City Hall (google it). Its open to the public and does not cost anything. Take the elevator up to the top floor, then its I think another 2 stories of staircase. Great view!
Tourism - Buffalo City Hall Observation Deck - Buffalo, NY - Official Local Tourism Attractions on Waymarking.com

various restaurants and bars in downtown, a lot of choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back home

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We ended up going to Niagra Falls (it was freezing out) ate at Duffs for some wings. Went to Syracuse and ate at Dinosaur BBQ (AMAZING!!) Went to Cooperstown and rode snowmobiles in the Catskills. I am sure I am forgetting a lot, but regardless we had a great time!!!

Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts