StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'd like to eventually get a topcase and mounting hardware, I'm a bit short on $ right now. But I need lockable storage on my Wee for my commute. I have an old Pelican 1520 and was thinking about bolting it directly to the luggage rack. I'd need to mount it back far enough to allow the seat to be removed. It wouldn't be (easily) removable and it'd put holes in an OK Pelican case but I can't see any other issues.

Are there other problems that I might be missing? Any alternatives (low $)?

Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
While I'd like to eventually get a topcase and mounting hardware, I'm a bit short on $ right now. But I need lockable storage on my Wee for my commute. I have an old Pelican 1520 and was thinking about bolting it directly to the luggage rack. I'd need to mount it back far enough to allow the seat to be removed. It wouldn't be (easily) removable and it'd put holes in an OK Pelican case but I can't see any other issues.

Are there other problems that I might be missing? Any alternatives (low $)?

Thanks

JC Whittney

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just drill some holes in it and mount the case on there. I have my seahorse case mounted that way. Pass the bolts up through the bottom of the rack and put a snap ring around them on the top of the rack; that way they won't fall out the bottom when you remove the case. Use hand wheels instead of bolts, that way it is really easy to remove. The hand wheels I am using have a little rubber grommet on the bottom which make the case completely waterproof.:thumbup:

Cheap and effective.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I am sure I didn't do it the preferred way, but I got tired of messing with the bolts and brackets that mount below the luggage rack. I finally just drilled some holes in the top of the luggage rack, tapped them and screwed my Bestem box mounting bracket to the top of the Luggage rack. Seemed easier to me and I can always cover the holes with a new rubber mat if needed.

Jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been using this for the last two years. It's solid and has never let me down. I swap it between my Strom and VFR. It's also compatible with a Givi Monokey mounting plate if you make a minor, non-destructive modification to the Monokey mounting tab.

http://www.bestemtopbox.com/product_info.php?products_id=1

The color is fading a bit, but for $70 I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just got a Givi knockoff from Sears for $50, includes hardware. Took me about 10 minutes to mount it and it's easily removable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just drill some holes in it and mount the case on there. I have my seahorse case mounted that way. Pass the bolts up through the bottom of the rack and put a snap ring around them on the top of the rack; that way they won't fall out the bottom when you remove the case. Use hand wheels instead of bolts, that way it is really easy to remove. The hand wheels I am using have a little rubber grommet on the bottom which make the case completely waterproof.:thumbup:

Cheap and effective.
Thanks, Steve,
That worked real well. I didn't think I'd need the snap rings but soon wished I had them!

After a couple of weeks of commuting, this is working very well. No need for a tank bag and no worries about rain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any alternatives (low $)?

Thanks
I would sell my old "cheap option" setup, or you could make one easily enough though it sounds like your Pelican case wouldn't be much different. Mine was a diamondplate shelf with a Rubbermaid container on top (lockable with padlocks on both ends) and 2 ammo boxes mounted like panniers (again lockable with padlocks).

I'm in Seattle, and shipping it would make the price too much in my opinion. I don't actually have a price in mind, I'm just not using this setup. I've gone all Givi. :)

Here's a pic...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts