StromTrooper banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
& Im havin likewise results with my 2015 Bridgestone A40 front. I expect the rear to be fine too...when it gets mounted soon

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Not the most cost effective but the Avon spirit st was an amazing tire on my vstrom. 100% street and I got about 12k out of it

·
Registered
658 Posts
My experience trying running a TrailSmart rear cross-country after many Anakee IIIs is that the Trailsmart is looking pretty beat with half the miles I usually expect.

The Anakees are loud, I ride with earplus and the noise is not an issue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Anakee 3s are a much higher mileage tire than the Trailsmarts...
But comparing prices while the Dunlops are on sale is an exercise in futility....
All these are from ebay....
$130 a set SALE Dunlop Trailsmart TR91
$275 a set......Michelin Anakee 3
$184 a set......Bridgestone A40F/A41R
$200 a set......Mitas Terra Force
$178 a set......Kenda Big Block Paver
$175 a set......Continental TKC70
$175 a set......Shinko 705 radials

Has anyone here run the Mitas Terra Force 90/10 tires?? Their more agressive E07 Dakars did pretty good on mileage...before the redesign anyway

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
I put the Trailsmarts on following a set of Pirelli Scorpions. Handle equally when new, but the Pirelli developed a weird tip-in at 4K and was on cords at 6K. The Trailsmarts now are at 8K and still feel great in the corners. The Dunlops appeared to wear fast at first, but after that it slowed. I am getting near the wear bars and dont expect much more than another 1K. Totally satisfied. Have 2 rears and 1 front stored and ready.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
658 Posts
Anakee 3s are a much higher mileage tire than the Trailsmarts...
But comparing prices while the Dunlops are on sale is an exercise in futility....
Even on sale it doesn't stack up in comparison, unless the initial cost difference is too much to swallow. You pay 2x for the Michelin, you go twice the distance before you have to replace it, and it's a better tire the whole time. As an added bonus, you create less waste in the process.

Better yet, get just the A3 rear and run whatever's cheap up front for reduced noise and cost.

I'm so cheap, but in my experience cheap tires are a false economy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On our crappy Texas pavement ( think beltsander & 80 grit) I can usually run about 5K on a rear tire like the Dunlop..Stone...or Pirelli...
On the Anakee 3s Ive run....oh...bout 8K
I do like em & will buy one when I find a deal...but ..mostly...my budget leans toward the Stones or Dunlops when on sale
I wont run Shinkos again

If I lived somewhere with nice smooth pavement & endless curviness...mabe I too could get 12-15K outta a rear tire.
But I dont....I live in the middle of Texas & have tons of fun lil paved(?) goatpaths in almost every direction for miles n miles. The pavement is the challenge

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
My Bridgestone T31s are wearing like iron and work quite nicely. They're a 100% street tire and significantly less expensive than many of the other brands. If you can catch a rebate promotion, you can do even better.

Reactions: realshelby

·
Registered
291 Posts
Whatever tires you choose make sure they're motorcycle tires and not automobile tires. There's a big big difference.

I'm now riding on Metzler Roadtec 01 and find them "quiet" and they seem to have made it easier for the Wee to lean into corners. I previously had Michelin Pilot Road 4's (noisy but great grip on the twisties) and also Michelin Road 5's but the rear didn't last long and weren't cheap. I'm not one to choose a tire because of the price. Tires are the one safety item I'm willing to spend my hard earned money on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Even on sale it doesn't stack up in comparison, unless the initial cost difference is too much to swallow. You pay 2x for the Michelin, you go twice the distance before you have to replace it, and it's a better tire the whole time. As an added bonus, you create less waste in the process.

Better yet, get just the A3 rear and run whatever's cheap up front for reduced noise and cost.

I'm so cheap, but in my experience cheap tires are a false economy.
The Pilot 4's from Michelin are a good touring tire on blacktop and my rear tire lasted more than 15,000kms, a bit noisy on highways traveling above 80 km/hr though. Most of my riding was on two lane roads with plenty of twisties and the Pilots gripped more than well. Good in the rain. I find the Metzeler Roadtec 01 quieter and better for turning into corners, so effortless and clean slightly less grip in the rain. Both brands show how well the Wee can be in corners. There are probably other good touring tires that do the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're currently running Shinko 705s, I don't the noise of an Anakee 3 is going to bother you in the least. But if you're interested in going to a pure pavement tire, a friend of mine - who put about 100K on a DL1000 - swore by Michelin Pilot 3s. Certainly not the cheapest tire out there, but great longevity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always hear great comments on using the Pilot Roads on Stroms

DFW_Warrior (Bill Carmickle) swears by them. He should know.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts