StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a V-Strom 1000 2012 adventure. I do almost 100% paved roads. I use the bike for long trips (Alaska, Newfoundland) or 300-400 mile day trips. I've got Shinko 705's on the bike right now and think they are great.

I'd like to try some more road oriented budget tires. The only problem I have with the 705's is the whine they make between 40-50 mph actual. I don't expect my usual 12,000 miles from the set. My rear has 5.5 mm left on the tread after 3,750 miles, so I think I'll get decent miles, especially for the price.

Any suggestions for quieter, possibly more mileage, budget tires for my V?

Thanks, KorKoro

·
Registered
253 Posts
Consider the Bridgestone T31s or A41s. Bridgestone has a rebate, usually twilce a year, so a set is usually significantly under $300, typically around $250.
They are not considered budget tires, but very good performance for the price, check the reviews in the "Suspension/tires" subforum.

Mark

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,343 Posts
You like your 705's and Shinko makes a lot of other types of tires. I have run the Raven 009's and they were ok. But the days of cheap tires are past ( I can remember front and rear Shinko 705's for around $100 ). The Bridgestone A 41 is a very, very good all around tire. It has a bit heavier carcass which makes them more puncture resistant on gravel roads, should you be on those some. The T-31 is a good tire too. Both run about $240 a set shipped. There can be rebates on them to lower that cost on occasion. I think those are not available now.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I use Shinko 712 tires.

Nice and quiet at all speeds. Cheaper than the 705s too!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I use Shinko 712 tires.

Nice and quiet at all speeds.
I ran 712's on my Guzzi Eldorado, Guzzi T3, Guzzi 850 and a DR650. Each time the rear lasted 2000 to 2,500 miles before they were threadbare. Certainly a inexpensive tire but longevity is not good.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't 712's in my tire size

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I ran 712's on my Guzzi Eldorado, Guzzi T3, Guzzi 850 and a DR650. Each time the rear lasted 2000 to 2,500 miles before they were threadbare. Certainly a inexpensive tire but longevity is not good.
I get about twice that mileage out of a rear and the fronts don't seem to wear at all. I changed mine after 3 rears just cause I thought I should!

712 comes in the same OEM size on the rear but not the front OEM. I go down one size to a 100/90 19 not up to the 110/90 because of fender clearance.

The 100/90 is a bit narrower than the OEM 110/80 but almost the same diameter.

Reactions: slovcan

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
There used to be some Continental street tires that were fairly inexpensive. Can't remember the name, but if I find them, I'll edit my post.

The ones I was thinking of are the Contimotions, but there isn't a fitment for the front, so they aren't listed as a fit for the DL-1000 you have.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Right now you can get a really great deal on the Michelin Anakee 3 tires on Rocky Mountain Atv. Around $250 for a set is a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Chaparral still has the Dunlop Trailsmarts on sale....$60 front $70 rear ...shipped!
We've bought several of em thru ebay

Ive also recently bought Bridgestone A40s for similar $....but only fronts are avail now at $63... You could use an updated model A41 on rear for $121...ebay
Im running an A40 on the front & like it so far...Anakee 3 on rear

Or...
I saw a set of Continental TKC70s on ebay for $180

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Right now you can get a really great deal on the Michelin Anakee 3 tires on Rocky Mountain Atv. Around $250 for a set is a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If noise is an issue the Anakee' s are notoriously loud. Great tire, handles an wears well but too loud. As in worn TKC80's seemed silent in comparison. I had a set on a bike for several thousand miles and swore I'd not buy them again and could not wait until they were worn out so I could get something different. I ended up selling that bike earlier this year so I never got to wear the tires out, but karmas a bitch. I've recently bought 2 other bikes and both have Anakee 3's on them with well over 75% thread.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Dunlap Trailsmarts-
Chaparral says they have a manufacturing date between 29th week of 16 to 39th week of 17
Of course stored in a climate controlled warehouse
Anyone use these tires? Reviews?

·
Registered
254 Posts
My friends are running them on several bikes....a Strom...VFRx... BMW GS...all with no issues...varied riding styles. The Dunlops arent a long lasting tire..but do about the same miles as most other 90/10 tires...like Battle Wings..Scorpion Trails...Conti Trails...

As for date codes...yes ..the Trailsmarts we recieved were coded from 2017.
Im actually running a front Stone A40 coded 2015 on my 1000 Strom & it handles great. All depends on how the tires are stored...up to a point. I have another front & 2 rear A40s waiting for either the Strom or the Tenere.

&... An Anakee 3 noise note....
Both the 1000 Strom & the 14 Tenere have rear Anakees rite now...no noise issues over halfway thru their treadlife. The front Anakee on the Ten was the noisemaker...funny wear pattern..so I replaced with a Tourance Next. No noise so far...

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
If noise is an issue the Anakee' s are notoriously loud. Great tire, handles an wears well but too loud. As in worn TKC80's seemed silent in comparison. I had a set on a bike for several thousand miles and swore I'd not buy them again and could not wait until they were worn out so I could get something different. I ended up selling that bike earlier this year so I never got to wear the tires out, but karmas a bitch. I've recently bought 2 other bikes and both have Anakee 3's on them with well over 75% thread.
Love the Anakee III, find them more quiet than the 705 Shinko and handle on pavement much better.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Love the Anakee III, find them more quiet than the 705 Shinko and handle on pavement much better.
The Anakee rear I tolerable but the howl from the front is crazy. The maiden voyage after I installed the Anakee I thought the drive line was going out becasue of the loud howl.

I've only ever had them one model bike but in all 3 instances they are loud. Maybe a different model bike makes the difference??

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Yeah that's weird we have totally different experiences with the same tire, now the Mitas EO7 on the otherhand is one noisy and buzzy SOB. LOL

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can't comment on the noise, but the longevity of the Anakee 3 is amazing. I'm at ~30000 km now and nowhere near end of life. 100% paved roads, at least half of it highway cruising, and I'm not an aggressive rider, but still...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dunlap Trailsmarts-
Chaparral says they have a manufacturing date between 29th week of 16 to 39th week of 17
Of course stored in a climate controlled warehouse
Anyone use these tires? Reviews?
I just mounted a set of these Trailsmarts on my 03 DL1000. Appeared and smelled very “ fresh”. These were date code 4516 so 45th week of 2016...heck of a deal, cost wise...smooth on the street.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts