StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Budget Farkles

I thought it would be fun to start a thread of relatively inexpensive additions to our Wees that don't break the bank. Or modifications that you've done inexpensively.

Lord knows there are plenty of really cool and expensive gadgets and gizmo's to go crazy with, but what about the small things that make a big difference?

Here's a shot of some of my inexpensive add-ons that really add a lot of comfort and safety.

What have you done?

Grip Puppies ($12), Lever Grips ($4) Cramp Buster ($11), Go-Cruise Throttle Lock ($20). Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders ($33)

Speed Metal Rim Tape ($12) Swingarm sliders ($13.00) and rear stand from Cycle Gear ($48 )

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought a $15 battery powered wired digital thermometer at a pet store (based on an idea I read elsewhere on this forum). Mounted the display in front of the windshield and ran the sensor wire down behind the cowling. The sensor is mounted by drilling a small hole in the splash guard under the cowling and poking it through. It sticks out in the fresh air to get an accurate reading while moving.

I like to ride at all temps. so it helps to get a good gauge of what clothing feels comfortable at what temps. I also like to know when there could be danger of ice on the road.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Bead rider seat cover and grip puppies.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Anchor-points for bungee cords.

The first accessory I installed was totally free.

I cut two ten-inch pieces of nylon strap from a junked knapsack. I used a soldering iron to burn two 8-mm. holes in each strap, near the ends. I used a lighter to toast the ends of the straps to keep them from fraying.

I removed the seat and the two bolts holding the front of the luggage rack, folded the straps, slid them under the front to align the holes with the bolt-holes, and then reinstalled the bolts and the seat.

Now I have dandy places to fasten bungee cords. The cords do not slip.

I think this is a fine thread, and I will add to it later.
Keith

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Shop in E-Bay for perforated aluminum and make your own grill protector for around 20 bucks. All you need is one longer bolt for the bottom, with a nut, and two wire ties. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I spent $28 on heated grips from Kimpex. $12 for grab on grips, $20 for Pro grip tank protector and a $8 suzuki license plate frame.

Going to do the rim tape here soon also. Trying to think of something to do with the rear shovel. It makes taking the rear tire out a PITA.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My favorite cheap (?) farkle...... Gas!! Only (?) $4.13/gal right now here in San Diego...

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
No pic...........but replaced those stupid JIS (Jap Std, they are not Phillipsheads) Screws holding the chainguard on, with SS Allenheads since I remove the guard most times when I clean the chain. The JIS screw heads have been know to strip out when Phillipshead Screwdrivers are used (and I'm too lazy to get my strom toolkit out everytime for this). [BTW.......I'll have plenty of the allenheads available at the upcoming East Vstrom Rally May 18-20 for those who want some]

·
Registered
791 Posts
Stop and Go tubeless tire repair kit from Whitehorse Gear (includes 12v air pump) for $65.00, Canadian tire "tirefix" motorcycle tire guage for 9.99, red emergency kit with additional bandages and a small led flashlight added was a giveaway; also (not under the seat) a CTEK multi US 3300 battery charger/maintainer when on sale at Canadian Tire for $49.00.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stop and Go tubeless tire repair kit from Whitehorse Gear (includes 12v air pump) for $65.00, Canadian tire "tirefix" motorcycle tire guage for 9.99, red emergency kit with additional bandages and a small led flashlight added was a giveaway; also (not under the seat) a CTEK multi US 3300 battery charger/maintainer when on sale at Canadian Tire for $49.00.

I was just looking at this repair kit a few minutes ago and wondering if it would fit in the spot where you have it. How does the seat fit after you put the kit in there? Do you have to push the seat a little harder to get it to lock?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought a $15 battery powered wired digital thermometer at a pet store (based on an idea I read elsewhere on this forum). Mounted the display in front of the windshield and ran the sensor wire down behind the cowling. The sensor is mounted by drilling a small hole in the splash guard under the cowling and poking it through. It sticks out in the fresh air to get an accurate reading while moving.

I like to ride at all temps. so it helps to get a good gauge of what clothing feels comfortable at what temps. I also like to know when there could be danger of ice on the road.
Nice thing about the 2012 wee, it has a factory thermometer and road freeze warning indicator in the display panel......

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can confirm that the Vista Cruise doesn't work with our stock grips - unless you want to trim them with a dremel or razor blade, which I do NOT. I ordered a few of the plastic tubes from Agri-Supply (tool tubes) and will post when I get them mounted. FWIW they sell mounting brackets for the tool tubes (and the tubes themselves, but price raised) at TwistedThrottle.com.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Swingarm sliders ($13.00) and rear stand from Cycle Gear ($48 )
Thanks for all the info, can you tell me where you got the swing arm sliders for $13?

·
Registered
56 Posts

Which year is your bike? the 2012 already has a built in temp gauge and freeze warning indicator.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was just looking at this repair kit a few minutes ago and wondering if it would fit in the spot where you have it. How does the seat fit after you put the kit in there? Do you have to push the seat a little harder to get it to lock?
The seat fits nicely without needing to push it down hard, even have the manual under this kit and the kit fits perfectly in the slot.... I also appear to have room for a small poncho under the rear part of the seat. This kit has the mushroom type plugs....these are not considered a permanent type repair but if I were to pick up a nail I would want to put in a proper plug eventually anyway.

Ken

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I thought it would be fun to start a thread of relatively inexpensive additions to our Wees that don't break the bank. Or modifications that you've done inexpensively.

Lord knows there are plenty of really cool and expensive gadgets and gizmo's to go crazy with, but what about the small things that make a big difference?

Here's a shot of some of my inexpensive add-ons that really add a lot of comfort and safety.

What have you done?

Grip Puppies ($12), Lever Grips ($4) Cramp Buster ($11), Go-Cruise Throttle Lock ($20). Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders ($33)
Very nice.
Did you install the Go Cruise over the Grip Puppies, without the provided silicone ring?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts