StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just picked up a 2003 Vstrom from a friend. It has been sitting for a very long time and has about 130k miles on it. Changed out the battery, gave her some fresh oil/filter. Ran over her and didn't notice any issues. Started her right up and shes been running pretty well. Took her out for a spin and noticed if i am at a stop and start to go she starts bucking like a bull. Once i get going i don't have any issues. I have to feather the clutch and throttle pretty heavily to get going.

I have been reading and see that there is a possibility the clutch push rod could be dirty. I am looking for any tips/tricks that could possibly help out. Would like to start riding as soon as possible. :)

Thank you

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dirty fuel filter? Look up fuel filter bypass here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
if i am at a stop and start to go she starts bucking like a bull. Once i get going i don't have any issues. I have to feather the clutch and throttle pretty heavily to get going.
This is exactly how my 08 DL1000 acted before I had the clutch fixed by Werks. The clutch basket actually loosens up and rumbles as it spins and tries to get the bike going. Mine was so bad that when I took it apart, I could move the basket back and forth on its base -- and NO it is not supposed to be that loose. Get you the Werk fix and the bike will ride like new.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
While I don't doubt a modified clutch basket will improve things if it has never had one....I am not positive that the clutch basket would cause outright bucking. I would flush/bleed the master and slave for the clutch, inspect the pushrod carefully. Dirty or bent pushrods will effect how the clutch engages. So will a dirty piston in a slave cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Oil type might be a contributing factor...

But yeah, go through the hydraulics first before digging into the clutch. The slave area is notorious for collecting chain gunk. Both the piston and pushrod can become fouled. Or the PO may not have reinstalled something properly.

Could be the clutch springs are at the end of their life as well. Your mileage is just about ripe for that.

I don't think "chudder" is going to cause any bucking but if you're pulling apart the clutch you might as well install a Werks basket. Definitely worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
What sort of RPM's are we talking ?

Many people try to ride with the RPM's too low.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My bike bucked like this too. When purchased it had been sitting for a long time. The bucking had nothing to do with clutch adjustment on mine (leaking clutch pushrod seal was the first repair I did)it was impossible to pull away smoothly and my bike only had 30k.
Worn cush drive, chain and sprockets, clutch basket plus dirty injectors and poor state of tune all factors I believe in my case.
I’d do the Werks basket and pull the injectors and have them rebuilt, pull the tank and do the filter bypass and external filter mod first thing on these bikes then you’re not chasing your tail.
I bought a ultrasonic cleaner and my friends have all pulled their injectors and cleaned them, all amazed at how much crap comes out of them. Any injected bike I buy in the future I’ll clean the injectors first thing from now on.
Sitting bikes always have a small amount of water in the tank and worse. The tiniest bit of water will exacerbate these symptoms and go away after the bike running for a while and reappear after cold start.
Off idle poor fueling, sudden varying torque inputs and my bike was a chuddering, bucking mess.
With the Werks basket and a tune it’ll feel like a completely different bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts