StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
My friend bought one of the cheap Buyee BT headsets off amazon last year, it works pretty good, but it does have a lot more wind noise then my Sena 10s. Pairing the intercom to my 10s was a pain in the butt, but it did work. If you don't have $220 to throw at the SENA, maybe the $50 one will be good enough. I haven't had any experience with the Excelvan, but who knows it might work just fine.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Get an older model Sena on sale. You will be sorry with a cheaper alternative. You can find them for under $100. I would go for an older SMH10 model. Skip the SMH5. Sena has the old Sena price locked at $156 but I picked up both of mine separately for 20% off on rare sales. Upgraders sell them for $100 or even less. They are very clear and always work. If you need much more than a 1/4 mile or so between communicators then you need the newer models like a 20.

I have speakers in the helmet on one and ear plugs on the other. I prefer the ear plugs. With Sena and a good helmet folks can't tell you are even riding a motorcycle if you take a call.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BT

I see the SMH10 on ebay for 156.00 so I'll dig a little deeper for an even cheaper price...Thanks everyone for the replies and I'll update when I find one !

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
The vendor where I bought my last SMH10 is an authorized Sena dealer and what they do to get around the price is a checkout coupon where you enter a code so the price is always $156.75 but they give you an instant cash back code.

I won't list their name because folks will turn them in and ruin the deal but I just checked and they are discounting them right now with the same code I used a year ago but the discount is only $10 at the moment. It went to $30 for a day and someone notified us of the change on my Honda forum when I actually bought it. They also have free shipping on anything over $99 and no tax.

Just keep Searching. It is not Revzilla or TT.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be accurate, the 156.00 price I mentioned is $156.75 and they are an authorized Sena dealer in So-Cal.so I would have to pay tax on it anyway...this is only one I found on fleabay. There is another on Amazonian for $140.54, but it doesn't say anything about being a Sena dealer and they both say "Free Shipping" There are used ones listed as well on both sites...Still looking...

·
Registered
239 Posts
FWIW, the majority of my riding buddies all use the sena SMH10. Back when I bought mine ~4 years ago, a dual pack was about $230 shipped, so you and a friend split a dual pack for $115 each

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I broke down and bought a new Sena SMH10/11 and now I have a question...which microphone would be better to use? I installed the system last night with the small mic. to try it out and Ill say I'm impressed with the quality so far!

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Sometimes the helmet dictates whether the boom or Velcro mic works best. For my two modular's I am using the booms. A Schuberth C3 and a Gmax 54S for passengers where the front flips up. Both may work for a helmet. When riding with buddies who also have Sena's we have a normal conversation the entire ride with the SMH10s. They work great.

I tried both mics initially and really didn't notice a difference but went with the booms.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I had one of those Chinese import helmet intercom systems for a while (I don't even remember the name of it), and it was....adequate. It's not that it didn't work for something simple like communication with a passenger, or listening to music; it seemed okay, until I broke down and bought a Sena and realized how poorly the imported one operated in comparison. The Sena was expensive compared to the $90.00 import, and I usually don't buy the top of the line sort of stuff, but the Sena was one of those products that I personally feel was worth the added expense.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I used the microphone that attaches to the inside of the helmet with velcro. Never tried the boom mike; I figured that it might get in the way when I was putting on or taking off a full face helmet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BT

Sometimes the helmet dictates whether the boom or Velcro mic works best. For my two modular's I am using the booms. A Schuberth C3 and a Gmax 54S for passengers where the front flips up. Both may work for a helmet. When riding with buddies who also have Sena's we have a normal conversation the entire ride with the SMH10s. They work great.

I tried both mics initially and really didn't notice a difference but went with the booms.
I use a LS2 Stream until I can pick up a modular...I'll pick up another mount and use the boom mic on that one...
Cheap buys work in some instances but a quality product will always win the day !

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
It s a flex boom so it just pushes anywhere you want it. Relocating it for best position is the real advantage. It may pick up slightly better if you position it closer. My Schuberth is so quiet inside the helmet that I doubt it matters much. Folks never know I am on the motorcycle on a call.

I used the microphone that attaches to the inside of the helmet with velcro. Never tried the boom mike; I figured that it might get in the way when I was putting on or taking off a full face helmet.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
It s a flex boom so it just pushes anywhere you want it. Relocating it for best position is the real advantage. It may pick up slightly better if you position it closer. My Schuberth is so quiet inside the helmet that I doubt it matters much. Folks never know I am on the motorcycle on a call.
Maybe next time I switch helmets I'll give it a try, and see if it makes any difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts