StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 300 mi. loop to the E. side and the majority of it was 55 to a low of 38. When the sun would pop out it would climb to a high of 68 at one point. All this meant strong winds in the Ellensburg area.
Trip started on 410 to Cayuse Pass. This the top of Cayuse.

Then to White pass(Which was 38 at the top)and down to Naches. At Naches I went N. to Wenas Lake road, no easy task with a couple roads near washed out from the heavy rains a couple weeks ago. Then W. to and 7 miles past Wenas lake where the road over the hill turned to dirt. 15-20 miles of this and more wash out areas to be navigated before dropping into Ellensburg.
Lunch spot by the Yakima river.

Then headed N. to see if I could find the start of Clocklum Pass. Side winds were bad(30-40 mph gusts)the 15 miles to the base of the hills where the dirt started. Decided to turn around there and go back. The wind was blowing the Strom around a fair bit, but after only a couple miles it seemed to get worse. Gut feeling said to pull over and check things out. Low and behold, the rear was flat. Hole right in the center and what ever caused it was gone.
Found a nice little spot to get off the road where they paved for a field access gate.

I've repaired 4 different tires for other people, but never for myself. It was also the hardest, as I don't remember the others having steel belts(Metzler) to deal with. Battle finally won and back on the road in 30 min.
Tire was going to be changed after this ride anyway(2/32" tread left when checked at home).

Dropped to the low 40's across Snoqualmie. Like I said- Brrr wheres summer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nice report. Looks like DOT isnt working too hard on getting that cleared off of Cayuse and Chinook huh.:mrgreen:
Ellensburg area got slammed with downpours the last few weeks. A lot of areas were flooded in the Valley. I guess street in Ellensburg proper had 16-20" of water in some. Lots of roads blocked. Manastash is closed. Taneum and I believe Naneum are all closed. He siad some tribal folks had built large multi-log dikes they had set in the rivers and creeks to make salmon habitat. 3 or 4 logs chained/cabled together then anchored to the bottom. Pretty much all of them broke loose and floated downstream becoming battering rams and taking out buildings, causing blockages and pretty much wreaked havoc. There's already a class action suit filed against the tribe.. yeah... good luck with that.:green_lol:

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Nice job on the repair, and yea it looks like you're due for that new tire! I got my first flat last year out on the south end of the Steens loop road. Weaving in and around the rocks and trying to keep up with Rider1405 and I feel the rim bouncing off the rocks. The one good thing about those 705's is that they have a pretty stiff sidewall which really helped me out. Took me two tries using the plug and gun style applicator system but did get it figured. It held for another thousand miles until I changed out the tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice ride, I am looking forward to the weather finally getting a little better so I can get out a little more. Riding in the rain and colds getting old even if you have all the right gear!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice to see you are out and about. I was over Cayause Friday and you are right about the snow banks. The mountain was really shining. I sent you a text on tire changes but I don't know if you text. Will give you a call next week if no response. I have a tire plugging kit but never used. Probably could use a refresher course. Another stromer and I are planning a trip and I need to get prepared. Nice report as always.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts