StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
I would avoid Skyline drive, too many cyclists and the speed limit is pretty much a crawl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just returned from that part of NC, rode the BRP, Dragon and Cherohala Pkwy. If you're looking for a clean and quiet place to stay that's biker friendly, too, check out the Phillips Motel in Robbinsville, NC.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
If you're camping Willville motorcycle campground is a great place to stay. It's in Va. where the BRP crosses RT.58. There's also Blue Ridge motorcycle campground near the BRP in N.C.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Use the Best Motorcycle Roads Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com to keep an eye on nearby interesting routes off the BRP.

The slow speed, police presence and often too much of the same thing can wear you out of the enjoyment. Taking other roads nearby can be useful as a variation if you have the time and make the overall trek more enjoyable.

Good time of year to ride after the summer and long weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would agree. Skyline drive is beautiful, but it is frustrating. The sheer amount of people and the glacial speed limit can test your patience. But, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. It's a beautiful ride and everyone should do it at some time. Now days when I go, I hop on Skyline at Front Royal, VA, and take it south about 40 miles or so to 211, then head over to Luray, VA. Of course, coming from Florida you would just go the opposite way. Also remember, Skyline Drive is in Shenandoah National Park. So you'll have to pay $15 to go through.

I certainly wouldn't mind joining for the ride through Skyline. If you have a specific date in mind please let me know and I'll see if I can meet you further south.

-John

green_v650

·
Registered
672 Posts
My experience (10-12) years ago is avoid weekends on BRP. Also the rangers were tough on speeders. It is a great scenic ride but slow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plan on riding the weekdays. Retired so time is not important, and have Senior park pass. All seems good. Should hit the south end of BRP on Monday, Sept 14. and take the time to enjoy. 1300 miles to Mass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts