StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background info. I'm coming from the world of BMW oilhead boxer twin engines. I've owned 5. For reasons stated in another thread I've made the switch.

So a very short, 30 mile ride when I got home and unloaded the bike.

Feels very light. Responsive steering with light input. Holds the line w/o wanting to stand up or fall in to a turn.

Decent acceleration for my 225 pounds.

Not as much engine braking as I expected. Takes a long time to decelerate after backing off on the throttle.

Bar position is just right. Peg lowering kit here this week to take care of knee bend. Seat felt OK but most do for 30 minutes. :green_lol: Will take a couple hour ride to see if I need to be moving around or not.

Need to raise windscreen. May not help. Read about the mirrors and the different aftermarket windshields. Will have to study that more.

Need a shelf for my gps and locator.

Buying tank bag this week.

Buying a HT center stand as well.

Scratching my head about oiler/no oiler. Haven't had a chain driven bike since the 70's. (Yes, I know I'm an old phart here but I was just average in the BMW world. :mrgreen:)

Tires sound loud, but I'm used to PR's so it isn't a fair comparison.

Turn signals look dinky and dim. Saw the advice to put in shiny tape to make them brighter.

Need some Hyperlites for the brake and turn signals.

Need to install a fuse block, a couple of 12V outlets on the dash.

More HD riders waved today than they did when I was on the Beemer. :hurray::hurray:

All and all, I have a smile on my face and look forward with anticipation for the good things to come.

Pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Prior to my Vstroms (on my third one now), I owned shaft drive cruisers and a couple of BMW's. The thought of a chain drive was frightening to me. Years later I can say that they are dependable, efficient, and not hard to maintain. I did buy a Scottoiler and I still use one today. It is SO NICE to know my chain is being properly lubricated, my chain and sprocket life are extended, and my maintenance is limited filling the reservoir and checking slack once in a while.

Don't be disheartened by the chain. I do highly recommend the oiler. It is nice not thinking about lubing anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am forwarding a wish for many safe and enjoyable miles. Quite the machine. Puts fun back into riding after making the switch from big touring rigs at 58 years of age.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great to hear Bud. The handling is something that probably doesn't get enough attention, the engine get's most of the praise I guess. The ABS is awesome too, the Beemers had me for a long time because of the safety features and Paralever suspension was very good but I think everyone has caught up. Well, maybe Harley hasn't but you know, some like chrome and steel heavy beasts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The powerband is very forgiving on the bike, so you're not going to get a lot of engine braking at speed. Now if you can remember to engine brake when going slowly down a high incline gravel road in first gear, you'll find that the engine braking works just fine while other riders white-knuckle their ABS brakes and slide right past you.

If you're installing a center stand, than an automatic oiler is just plain lazyness and/or farklemania. Pop it up on the stand, spin the tire and spray. Couldn't be easier. Well, actually the scottoiler would be easier, but I digress.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya gotta love it.

One members say you have to get the oiler, the other says balderdash.

Both are right.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
I think the auto oilers are nice, but up on the centerstand and hitting with some Belray Superclean every so often does the trick for me just dandy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the auto oilers are nice, but up on the centerstand and hitting with some Belray Superclean every so often does the trick for me just dandy.
Does the Belray lube as well as clean?

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Does the Belray lube as well as clean?
Best description I can give, is that it lubes very well without all of the fling and stickiness of many others. If there is a much better all around chain lube out there without the mess, those few could not be better by much if any.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ya gotta love it.

One members say you have to get the oiler, the other says balderdash.

Both are right.
Yeah, that's why I said it couldn't be easier with a center stand, except to contradict that a scott oiler would indeed be easier than the thing that couldn't be easier...

A forum is nothing without some obfuscating circular logic pronounced as clear fact.

·
Registered
272 Posts
No matte what bike forum I'm on, I've never really read a lot positive things about peg lowering kits, I believe they all will drag when having fun.
I went with a Zuk gel "High" saddle, helped a ton, well at least 1500 lbs.
I've had 11 Beemers, still have the *84 RT, bought new, and the 00 RT, the Strom complements them and visa versa. The DL is a blast to wring out.
Nostrovia !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts