StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Hi Brian,

Its definitely taller with the RDL. I have a 32 inch inseam and I can flat foot it (with the seat in the stock low position.)

if you want I can ride up your way and let you sit on it (or it you have you bike we can swap seats for a short ride.)

..Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tom

thanks that is very generous of you. If I get my bike in time I thought I would take a break-in ride to the gathering at the hwy 41 rest stop. If you are going to be there I could check it out, otherwise we can find a date time to connect, appreciate the offer. I know I would love a day long when moving but before spending the money for one would want to make sure I would be comfortable at stops and when backing in/out of parking spots.
Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
My mistake, it is on the 11th which is Sunday. I will let you know if I get my bike in time, if not or if that doesn’t work (not sure if my wife has anything planned for that day) we can always find another time

Brian

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
My mistake, it is on the 11th which is Sunday. I will let you know if I get my bike in time, if not or if that doesn’t work (not sure if my wife has anything planned for that day) we can always find another time

Brian
I would love to go this Sunday but Thanksgiving dinner on at home. I always work Saturdays and off Sunday-Monday.

When are you supposed to be getting your bike?

..Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Should be late this week, waiting for the side cases to arrive and be installed.
Enjoy your thanksgiving and I will connect with you later after I have my new bike.

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I turned over 20,000 km / 12,427 miles on Halloween day, almost 4 months after getting it.

I still love riding this bike and can't wait to do some long trips on it!

I corrected what (for me) was the biggest issue by adding a Russell day long seat. That was added at 13,610 km or about 8,500 miles. With about 6,000 km / 4,000 miles on the seat It is as expected super comfy for me and I no longer think of my butt when riding. I also added the Suzuki Heated grips. (My preferred heated grips made by "Hot Grips", the inventor of heated grips, seems to have gone out of business.) The factory ones are expensive but they do work well. The heat is very welcome as we have had some cooler days down to -8°c / 18°f. (btw I also ride with heated Jacket, gloves and socks from "Warm n Safe".

I was going to do a little loop up to Thunder Bay and area but a combination of work commitments and weather concerns killed that plan. So I have been limited to little day rides of anything from 300km / 200 mile "round the block" rides or up to to 800 km / 500mile easy day rides. The DL1050 is a great companion and I have been exploring southern Ontario. In true V-Strom nature the bike largely falls into the background and it is just me riding wherever I feel like riding.

I am still very impressed with the performance! It is very quick and the motor really loves revving out! The tuning of it does make you want to keep it over 3,000 rpm and it is a bit cold blooded for the first minute or two after starting.

The linked brakes are very powerful and never fail to impress! I installed me first replacement set of tires and went back to a set of Tourance Next. I am very familiar with them have had something like 50 of them on my previous Stroms. I'm pretty used to the bike now and didn't see any difference in handling when I switched to the Tourance. That makes me thing something subtly changed in the suspension or geometry to account for the handling improvement (over the 2014+ DL1000) other DL1050 riders and myself have noticed.

Cruise just plain works as it should and, with a comfy seat, makes it a great tourer for me! I don't see why I can't cross the continent in three days if I wanted. I may try that next year!

The tranny and clutch seem to be working similar to my old 2015 DL1000. It does a bit more of a crunch now compared to new when going into first from Neutral. It is nowhere near as bad as the DL1000 but noticeable just the same. I may try bleeding the hydraulic to see if that helps. If not I will try a different oil, likely what the dealer put in after the first service and see if that changes anything.

Once strange thing I have noticed is the motor is smooth enough that sometimes when going down through the gears to a stop I think I am in a gear higher than I actually am. I'll downshift from second to first when I think I am downshifting from third to second. Don't get me wrong though, it still has the expected bigger V-Twin vibrations and is never going to be as smooth as my wife's Triumph Tiger 800 triple.

Fuel mileage is noticeably better than my DL1000. So far I am averaging 13% better mileage than the 1000 and not far off the mileage I was getting on my 2012 DL650.

The other thing which has taken a while to get used to is all the compliments I get about the looks of the bike! I love the looks as well and it has made me try and keep it relatively clean. Unfortunately my roads are pretty dirty and I ride in a lot of crappy conditions so it is never going to look like it is in the showroom.

I am very happy with this bike and love riding it!

..Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tom,

Wow, 12.5K miles already... that is awesome! How in the heck did you do so many miles without any longish trips??

On the seat, how much does it overhang the white plastic side panel? Does Russell offer an option for a "sport" seat in addition to the "touring" seat that you have?

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Tom,

Wow, 12.5K miles already... that is awesome! How in the heck did you do so many miles without any longish trips??

On the seat, how much does it overhang the white plastic side panel? Does Russell offer an option for a "sport" seat in addition to the "touring" seat that you have?
I know Russell offers a sport seat but I didn't look into it. You could probably check on their web site.

The seat does hang out over the white but I'd have to go out and look at how far. Prob a few inches. Strangely on my DL1000 some people thought the Russell was pretty ugly but I have had nothing but compliments of it on the DL1050.

..Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
Strangely on my DL1000 some people thought the Russell was pretty ugly but I have had nothing but compliments of it on the DL1050
I don't know about your last seat but your current one looks luxurious while still looking like it belongs there. The black leather was a good call. Is there anything a guy should know before going that route? I'm curious about the leather but my bigger concern is adjusting to the shape. I'm a tank hugger in the twisties, slide back onto an Airhawk on the straights and stand up fairly often when no one is around. Rich's custom seats is in my neck of the woods so it would be a one day fix for me.

Glad you are enjoying your bike. I'm really liking mine too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Envious (and I don't even want a new bike) ;)
I've never seen one in the flesh. Question: Does the rear seat come off with a key or a wrench?
Rear seat comes off with the key and gives access to battery and fuzes. The front has two bolts to remove seat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats. I have the same color and bike. You will love it. Fantastic on the highway for a smooth and comfortable ride. I have close to 1k miles and would change nothing - only additions like panniers and top trunk once GIVI manufactures the mounting racks. I plan to move the cases back and forth between my 1050 and 650XT.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I know Russell offers a sport seat but I didn't look into it. You could probably check on their web site.

The seat does hang out over the white but I'd have to go out and look at how far. Prob a few inches. Strangely on my DL1000 some people thought the Russell was pretty ugly but I have had nothing but compliments of it on the DL1050.

..Tom
Great feedback Tom! Considering the miles you put on a bike, your praise of the new 1050 carries weight!

I won't dare ride one as a result, for at least another 2 years!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Brought home my new DL1050 this aft.

Only ridden 40 km and love riding it so far! Just raised the seat, added Rick's Mirror Extenders and hooked up my Garmin Zumo XT. It is put together much nicer than any of my Previous Stroms and feels like a much more expensive bike.

I am sure I will have more to say after getting a fe km's on it.

..Tom

Congrats. That is a sharp bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never been a RDL fan for looks only. But I agree, the RDL looks at home on the 1050 compared to any other bike I've seen. I'm on the waiting list.

·
Administrator
13,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
It was nice to see your bike again in person this past weekend Tom! She's a beauty!
Thanks for the invite! Nice seeing you and Bruce again and meeting Miles!

BTW when I stopped for gas on the way home the station literally ran out of super while I was filling.

I didn't want to stretch it to the next station so I filled it with regular. Like my DL1000 no issues with it. I just avoid lugging to be safe. It will be filled up with Super tonight.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Thanks for the invite! Nice seeing you and Bruce again and meeting Miles!

BTW when I stopped for gas on the way home the station literally ran out of super while I was filling.

I didn't want to stretch it to the next station so I filled it with regular. Like my DL1000 no issues with it. I just avoid lugging to be safe. It will be filled up with Super tonight.

..Tom
LOL, what are the chances!

Good to hear that we can use regular in a pinch, with slight modification of throttle input. I suspect the BoosterPlug would provide a bit of margin also, due to the slightly richer air/fuel ratio on throttle inputs.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts