StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 v-strom 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 V-strom 650. I finally did it - slow drop in sharp turn out of my driveway. It's from a bad habit I have from bicycling - I can turn hard and brake at the same time and not drop it if there is traffic I see late because of vegetation. Despite having engine guards, the left front turn signal and the clutch lever broke. I'll replace the clutch lever with OEM - pretty cheap, but I'm less sure about the turning signals. I had already bought, but not installed LED turning signal and back light bulbs and the necessary new relay. So I'm thinking about replacing with OEM, which is $62 for just for the left one. I checked the forum and there are many opinions and conversions, but availability and compatibility seem to change quickly. There are many cheap "universal" turn signals out there, but I'm not sure about fit, build quality, and brightness. So I wanted to hear recent opinions, success and failure stories.
My questions are:
  • Besides the price (and subjective preference of looks), is there an advantage in replacing with aftermarket? Less fragile? Better visibility (compared to an OEM with LED lights and reflective tape in the holder)?
  • Is there even a difference in fit between 2004-11 and newer 650 V-stroms and the 1000's? I know that the lens cap color changed from orange to clear between 2007 and 08.
  • Do the aftermarket universal fit turn signals even fit? It seems the connection to the fairing has an extra pin and at least one picture I saw about conversions showed quite some open area in the fairing where the old one was attached and another mentioned 3D printing a part to make it work.

Please let me know if you recently replaced turn signals successfully, without major adaptations necessary and which turn signals you used. Otherwise, I'll probably just stick with OEM for simplicity. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 DL650
78 Posts
When I bought my K4 it had already been converted to flush mount lights with LED bulbs. Still very bright and visible even with the amber lens and look better and protected.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Years ago I found them on ebay direct from chi na. They were exact oem replacements and they were cheap. Searching.............schhhmaybe, make sure the bolt is the same as yours:
turn signal

·
Registered
2007 v-strom 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2007 v-strom 650
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Years ago I found them on ebay direct from chi na. They were exact oem replacements and they were cheap. Searching.............schhhmaybe, make sure the bolt is the same as yours:
turn signal
I saw those, too, but I think the stem base doesn't have the right angle for the front turning signals.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
765 Posts
On my 2011 I have had a few very low speed (or zero speed) whoopsies off road. I have broken both front signals....twice. The first time they were cracked into a few pieces and I put it back together with hot glue. The second time I broke it for reals and replaced it/them with cheapo LED "running water" turn signals from Aliexpress. They seem pretty bright. I mounted them higher up on the fairing so they are much less at risk in a drop, and they are quite flexible so I am hopeful they will last a long time. 4 for 8 bucks, shipping and everything.

I had to replace the stock flasher with a "special" flasher that is designed for LEDs. The frequency of the flash is no longer dependent on how much current the lights draw.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Someone has a set of turn signal in Pass it Forward. That's where I got mine from.

I wanted to keep the stock housing to be easily noticed with my freaking bright led bulbs.

Well worth the LED and relay upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts