StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happens 3 days before NEVA. Was rounding a corner and heard a loud pop/bong like a good size rock hitting the skid plate...I was on pavement. Pulled over and found the attachment piece had snapped. Second time it's happened. You can see where it was previously welded. All I can guess is vibrations fatigued the piece until it failed. The PO installed it and I have no idea what brand it is. Any guesses?
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469399802.813156.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469399832.299494.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469399846.322995.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
Not the best pic but looks like a Weld86 plate.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you heard a pop sound when it broke I would think it broke quickly because of misalignment / stress. If you're planing on repairing it, don't just weld the two pieces back together make a longer leg.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Skid plate mounted to aluminum engine.....bad design. Replace it.
Very few of these devices are "skid plates", even though that's the common term we use for them; they're just debris shields, designed to protect your oil filter and sump from rocks and other crap that occasionally gets kicked up from the road (on several occasions, I've been glad I had one installed). The fact that a lot of them mount to the engine doesn't bother me, because I would never rely on them to protect the bike if I were to go hucking over rocks and logs on singletrack; for that, I'd have to invest in a real skidplate, like a substantially more expensive Rumbux. For what these debris shields are actually designed to do, I don't see any issues with them being mounted to points on the engine.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
BMW's for the longest time had a plate attached to the oil pan, it was just a 'spread out the impact' device.
Since most bikes have the engine as a stressed element and no real frame, what 'chu gonna mount a plate to? The sky hook?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I really love my outback mototek. It doesn't attach to the motor and is aluminum with reinforcement ribs on the bottom. It held up to the pine Barrens really well trees, rocks, road debris comes off easily for maintaince as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Regarding the attachment, this looks like a case of over-torquing that closest attachment point. When the bolts are tightened too much the vibrations from the engine put additional stress on the plate and it often times leads to stress fractures such as the one seen in your picture.

I could be wrong, just speaking from experience!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts