StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i fell over and broke my shift lever.. will any lever from a suzuki dealer work, or will it be a special order>???

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shift lever

factory replacement shift lever cost me 61 bucks, dont break yours...

greg

·
Registered
90 Posts
I broke my shift lever a while back, tried a Touratech but it's a longer reach than the stock (would be ok for size 14 feet), and because it's fitted directly to the splines it can only be adjusted as far as the spline positions will let you i.e. one spline up or one down. Up was too high for me, down too low. I sent it back - not without Touratech hassling me for actually trying it on the bike... and charging me a restocking fee.

So I drilled a hole in the original lever, threaded a long bolt through with a nylock nut on the end, and a locknut on the other side and a nylon sleeve over the bolt. Over the top of this went the rubber, and wella, lever fixed.

I also put a nick near the base of the bolt, so if I happened to go over again, the bolt should break at the nick, saving the lever and allowing me to fix it with the spare bolt I'm carrying at all times...

I have pics if anyone's interested.

Trevor

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Hell yes share the pics 8) http://www.imageshack.us

dcaussie said:
I also put a nick near the base of the bolt, so if I happened to go over again, the bolt should break at the nick, saving the lever and allowing me to fix it with the spare bolt I'm carrying at all times...

Trevor

·
Registered
232 Posts
Even better if you can post them here so we can all have a look' always interested on how people have done a fixup
Night_Wolf said:

dcaussie said:

Trevor

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I posted the link so he had a place to "host" the pics if he didn't have one and then hopefully we all can "look" at his improvement :wink:

Aussie Stromer 1039 said:
Even better if you can post them here so we can all have a look' always interested on how people have done a fixup
Night_Wolf said:

dcaussie said:

Trevor

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK - here's my shift lever repair...

First, drill appropriate size hole and file the stub of the broken bit to make a flat mating surface for the locknut

Then assemble the pieces - I found everything at my local hole-in-the-wall hardware store - except for the rubber, which I rescued off the broken bit.

Assemble - nylock nut on the outside and locknut on the inside should ensure that it's not going to come loose. Also drilled the hole tight enough that I had to thread the bolt into it.

I put a nick in the bolt in the hope that it will break in that spot if I have another drama... that way I can just replace with the spare bolt I'll be carrying and be on my way...

The finished job.

Trevor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts