StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike up the Buckhorn canyon west of Loveland Co yesterday. Got into some pretty steep terrain and managed to drop the bike a couple of times, once on each side. This resulted in two broken foot pegs. The pegs themselves didn't break but the cast aluminum plates that they are mounted to broke. Obviously a pretty significant problem. Riding down the trail without pegs was fun! Anyone had this happen to them? Anyone have any advice/suggestions on after market pegs that they like?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can't think of any aftermarket PLATES the pegs mount to except Rickland Rick's peg lowering kit that replaces that bracket...however it will bring your pegs and controls down a little.

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Sounds like you might want to investigate using DL650 peg mounting plates. The DL1000 come with cast aluminum plates. The DL650s use steel. I have never seen any for sale, but it's logical that there would be some out there in the used motorcycle parts market.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dl1000 = dl650?

It seems the DL650 peg mounting plates are way cheaper.

2014 DL650A BRACKET, FRONT LH (BLACK) 43520-11J00-YAP $33.06
2014 DL650A BRACKET, FRONT RH (BLACK) 43510-11J00-YAP $42.04

2014 DL1000A BRACKET, FRONT LH (BLACK) 43521-06G01-YAP $54.65
2014 DL1000A BRACKET, FRONT RH (BLACK) 43510-06G01-YAP $61.11
Suzuki 43521-06G01-YAP - BRACKET, FRONT LH (BLACK) : Babbitts Suzuki Partshouse

This Suzuki 43521-06G01-YAP BRACKET, FRONT LH (BLACK) is used in the following models and assemblies:
2002 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2003 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2004 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2005 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2006 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2007 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2008 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2009 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2012 V-Strom (DL1000) - FOOTREST
2014 DL1000A - FOOTREST
2015 DL1000A - FOOTREST
2016 DL1000A - FOOTREST

Broken braket posts:
- The Revzilla review '2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS' reports of a 4 mph topple which left the guy without a footpeg and also snapped off the end of the brake lever. Review: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS - RevZilla
- http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-products/34677-broken-footpeg-bracket-dl10002k.html
- http://www.stromtrooper.com/australia-new-zealand/70271-urgent-need-dl1000-lhs-footpeg-bracket.html

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
Well I guess I have been lucky. I've dropped my Vee2 ~4 times. Three right side, 1 left side. All while standing still. I blame my 30" inseam.

I have the Givi crash bars though. They give a little more coverage and extend a little further away from the bike than the others. All the damage was limited to scrapped paint on the crash bars.

http://www.adventuretech.biz/crash-bars.html

·
Registered
256 Posts
Took the bike up the Buckhorn canyon west of Loveland Co yesterday. Got into some pretty steep terrain and managed to drop the bike a couple of times, once on each side. This resulted in two broken foot pegs. The pegs themselves didn't break but the cast aluminum plates that they are mounted to broke. Obviously a pretty significant problem. Riding down the trail without pegs was fun! Anyone had this happen to them? Anyone have any advice/suggestions on after market pegs that they like?
I feel your pain,
I carry extra plates, pegs and shift lever on all off road rides.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is there something about the engine there where these are mounted that Suzuki would want a break away mount rather than, say, crack the case?

Will the 650 peg mounts fit the 1000? If so, might as well order a set to have on hand...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Two days ago my DL1000 decided to take a nap half way up a dirt hill. A cracked footrest bracket and broken clutch lever ball were the only damage. I'd rather replace this bracket have damage to the frame where it mounts to.

I ordered the parts today and there is 2-3 week wait for the footrest bracket (coming from Japan).

[/IMG]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Two days ago my DL1000 decided to take a nap half way up a dirt hill. A cracked footrest bracket and broken clutch lever ball were the only damage. I'd rather replace this bracket have damage to the frame where it mounts to.

I ordered the parts today and there is 2-3 week wait for the footrest bracket (coming from Japan).

[/IMG]
Try mickhone ;) he has suzuki parts when suzuki Aust dont! I needed a rear brake pedal, he had 2 instock and suzuki Aust had them on back order 3 weeks!!
The footpeg brackets are out of stock IMO cause they're snapping like carrots. I broke one at a zero speed "assisted laydown" ie a slow laydown as I couldnt hold the bike with only one leg down. It was on grass, and the ffn rh hanger broke. fcuk it"!!
bloody bullshit IMO. I was tempted to fill the rear voids with JB weld or metal epoxy but then consider the hangers at $100 or so a piece cheaper than a damaged frame. - still, they are SHIT to break so readily. a real Achiles heel imo.
shame on suzuki.
I hope someone here can confirm the interchangeability with the 650 brackets :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Try mickhone ;) he has suzuki parts when suzuki Aust dont! I needed a rear brake pedal, he had 2 instock and suzuki Aust had them on back order 3 weeks!!
The footpeg brackets are out of stock IMO cause they're snapping like carrots. I broke one at a zero speed "assisted laydown" ie a slow laydown as I couldnt hold the bike with only one leg down. It was on grass, and the ffn rh hanger broke. fcuk it"!!
bloody bullshit IMO. I was tempted to fill the rear voids with JB weld or metal epoxy but then consider the hangers at $100 or so a piece cheaper than a damaged frame. - still, they are SHIT to break so readily. a real Achiles heel imo.
shame on suzuki.
I hope someone here can confirm the interchangeability with the 650 brackets :)
My laydown was similar at zero speed and couldn't keep it up. Set it down gently as I could and the footpeg obviously took all the weight. Parts are already paid for and on order. Going for a holiday to NZ in 2 weeks :smile2:, so I don't care if it takes a while to come over from Japan.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We need some kind of lower crash protection to help at least limit the damage to allow a bike to still be safely usable on a get off. Any lower crash bars out there...I'm sure something can be mounted to the center stand bolts to provide at lease a little padding...nothing that could grind on a low leaning turn, but at least prevent the whole damn thing snapping off.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well I guess I have been lucky. I've dropped my Vee2 ~4 times. Three right side, 1 left side. All while standing still. I blame my 30" inseam.

I have the Givi crash bars though. They give a little more coverage and extend a little further away from the bike than the others. All the damage was limited to scrapped paint on the crash bars.

http://www.adventuretech.biz/crash-bars.html
I am with you on the 30" inseam! My Strom has taken three or four slow speed naps on dirt. Bent bar end bolt and snapped off end of clutch lever. Yesterday I noted that my shifter felt funny and sure enough the shifter shaft is bent...only an $8 part. Wish Suzuki would use a mild steel in the foot peg brackets that could be bent back until back to civilization...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
The steel DL650 plate and the cast aluminum DL1000 plate are interchangeable except that the DL650 plate includes a mount for the rear brake spring.

Here you can see the stock DL650 plate. The picture is from an installation of our footpeg and control lowering kit, but you can clearly see the rear brake switch mount welded to the plate.

The DL1000 plate does not and uses a longer spring instead.

It would be a simple matter to grind the brake light switch mount off the steel DL650 plate.

The DL650 gear shift side plate should work with no modification.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
The new Africa Twin also chose to go this route(Alum. mount). At an event in June there were 3-4 Hondas and 1 was dropped. The peg mount broke easily.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The new Africa Twin also chose to go this route(Alum. mount). At an event in June there were 3-4 Hondas and 1 was dropped. The peg mount broke easily.

"There is a God..." :grin2:

·
Registered
650 Posts
The steel DL650 plate and the cast aluminum DL1000 plate are interchangeable except that the DL650 plate includes a mount for the rear brake spring.

Here you can see the stock DL650 plate. The picture is from an installation of our footpeg and control lowering kit, but you can clearly see the rear brake switch mount welded to the plate.

The DL1000 plate does not and uses a longer spring instead.

It would be a simple matter to grind the brake light switch mount off the steel DL650 plate.

The DL650 gear shift side plate should work with no modification.
Rick you are a LEGEND!! you should be in the Stromtrooper Hall of Fame for services to the VStrom Community :)
I,m gonna keep the part numbers listed by the previous poster (York, Thankyou :) ) and order the 650 brackets "if and when"
I can see fitting 650 brackets becoming a "must do" mode/farkle for the ADV 'Strommers :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rick if I'm looking at your lowering kit right I'm still going to need to replace my stock peg plates. Is that right?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts