StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike got knocked over and the right side "holder" (that's what it is called in the OEM parts list) that holds the mirror onto the handle bar broke. It's other half is actually part of the master cylinder. I was able to take the mirror off by loosening the silver collet nut and pulling the mirror stem out of the male part that screws into the collet nut. I purchased a new holder as per Suzuki's parts list and it has a threaded hole in the top of it but no male threaded part to screw into the collet nut. I can not remove the male threaded part from the original holder to re-use it. In fact it appears to be one piece with the holder that clamps onto the handle bar. Is it two pieces? Do I need to take a jack hammer to it? Anyone know how to fix this?

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The silver part separates from the black part. The dis-assembled mirror looks like this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks Greywolf!
Sorry for the slow reply. Was out for the weekend. The reason I posted was because when I tried to open the joint in hand with vise-grips and pliers, it would not open. A knife blade could not detect a joint seam. I was afraid to try harder without knowing its true structure. With your info, I put the broken end into a bench vise, then with a few hammer blows on a wrench the joint finally broke open! I'm not sure the joint would have opened had the mount still been on the bike - probably would have broken the mount as it had by the fall!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where did you buy just the holder from?

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but having just dropped my wee and snapped the right hand mirror mount, for the last hour I've been trying to find where to buy just the holder, rather than the whole mirror assembly, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but having just dropped my wee and snapped the right hand mirror mount, for the last hour I've been trying to find where to buy just the holder, rather than the whole mirror assembly, can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Bike Bandit dot com might have what you need, then there's Flea-bay that has many many tubular mounts for mirrors.

·
38,104 Posts
The mirror screws into the lever perch. They are separate parts. The parts fiche does a poor job of picturing the perch. It doesn't look anything like the actual part. Can you post a picture of the broken area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The mirror is fine down to the silver stem part (under the rubber shoe), it is what that screws into that has sheared, I couldn't see at a glance where it attached, the bike is locked in the garage now, so I'll have a look at it tomorrow, (head allowing) and try for a photo.

This was why I was trying to find a good OEM listing/picture but the nearest you get seems to be under the handlebars listing there is an item for a 'RH mirror assembly', no pictures though.

·
38,104 Posts
The mirror end on a Wee looks like this. The two silver colored pieces that trap the tapered brass insert are often Loctited together and need heat to separate. Mirror parts are not available separately. A lot of people change to less expensive mirrors when breaking a stock mirror. Replacement mirrors, low cost & that work well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers for the help Greywolf, all of what you are showing is intact, it is the black bit that it screws into that has sheared, I presume it is a bracket that goes around the handlebar, it looks to have sheared off just above the handle bar loop, as I have 15mm of black cylinder still attached to the mirror, when I picked it up, it looks like there was a 4 or 5mm hole at the end of it, but this is where it has sheared through. I need to examine the handlebar to see where it attached originally.

·
38,104 Posts
That's what I thought. You need the part on the handlebar, not the mirror.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts