StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A little bit of context:
  • I am rookie regarding mechanics, I use to go to the shop for every little thing
  • Now I moved to an isolated area, so I am basically on my own now, I have to learn from the bottom
I recently bought a '08 DL-1000 for pretty cheap (the previous owner slipped and you can see some scratches on the side). I do not really care about that because I intend to use it more as a 50/50 off-road bike and the mechanical condition is all good (I have ridden maybe 4000 km with it now ). It was in a more "sport-ey" configuration and I am in the process of adapting it to a more "wood-ey" environment (skid plate, crash bars, tires, suspension, etc...)

Before leaving downtown for the woods though, I got hit-and-run by somebody in a parking lot :mad:. The bike fell on the side (it was locked in parking position); The damage is not that bad, 2 flashers I could get replacement for about 40$ and a screw holding the handlebar spacer which seems to be easily findable on the Internets. BUT the way the screw broke is giving me a hard time imagining how to get it out of the handlebar :unsure:. The screw bent before breaking and now it is kind-of locked inside the handlebar. Here are pictures:

My first hypothesis would be to try and "dig" a dent into it using a "dremel" rotary saw and hope I can unscrew it with a flat screwdriver. The other hypothesis would to replace the handlebar altogether (parts # "56111-06G00"+"56200-06861" I believe) but I think it would be pretty inefficient just for a screw, and it seems to be quite complicated to replace with everything attached to it.

Anybody has an idea?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Have you tried clamping vicegrips onto the remains of the screw and turning it out?

I am interested because both my bar end weights are bent (screws are bent).

Good luck,
Glenn

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi Max,

THis is the sort of problem that Stromers excel at solving!

My first thought would be along the same lines that you suggest: grind off the bent portion so that the screw can turn freely. I would next try to drill a small hole in the center of the screw and use an "easy out" - slobber some blaster in there first, however, and tap the screw lightly to get the blaster to penetrate. The easy out is reverse threaded so that turning it counter-clockwise to remove the screw will also be driving the easy out into the hole.

Others here will likely have even better ideas. Good luck.

·
Administrator
5,995 Posts
Just so that you know here are the parts of a bar end weight. The normal way to remove one is to loosen the screw and wiggle it out. Unscrewing the screw all of the way out will result in leaving parts still in the bar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone!

@slovcan : It broke a little bit inside so no vicegrip could get there. I would suggest to replace the screw before you get in my situation 😅

@BobAgain , @oldjeep : Thanks, I did not know these things existed (EasyOuts); I wil try drilling to "unstick" from its bent position then EasyOut my way;

@Brockie : These are the "outer" parts I got (there should not be any more, it broke in my hand):

How is the "balancer set" fixed inside the handle bar? Could-I just pull the screw to get parts 5 to 9?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
5,995 Posts
Unlikely. The rubber part #8 was compressed to hold the system in place in the bar and over time will set there. Normally you would loosen the bolt and then wiggle on the bar end weight vigorously to get it out.
Can you use needle nose pliers and WD40 to get Part #5 out? Part #6 will probably come with it. That might give you better access to the thread.
I'd still prefer a left hand drill and an ezy out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thank you everyone!

@slovcan : It broke a little bit inside so no vicegrip could get there. I would suggest to replace the screw before you get in my situation 😅

@BobAgain , @oldjeep : Thanks, I did not know these things existed (EasyOuts); I wil try drilling to "unstick" from its bent position then EasyOut my way;

@Brockie : These are the "outer" parts I got (there should not be any more, it broke in my hand):
View attachment 277323

How is the "balancer set" fixed inside the handle bar? Could-I just pull the screw to get parts 5 to 9?
View attachment 277324

Thank you!
I will have a challenge.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That should be pretty easy. Just grab the whole thing and twist. Should be able to remove that barehanded.
😁 I thought about that, but figured it might be too much to ask for. The left side is bent about half as much - might be harder - or not. (y)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Slovcan: Just bend them back closer to straight, by hand. Then undo the crew a couple of revolutions. Then whack it with a mallet. Then pull them out.

Maxwhite: Get the outer rubber part (#5) out by grabbing it with a suitable pair of pliers. Then gab the broken bolt, push in a little and then pull out. If all else fails, remove the bar-end weight on the opposite side. Find a suitable flexible rod long enough and knock the broken parts out from the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks Blau. Great ideas!

In my case, what was I thinking??????? With the bar end bent that much it's pretty likely the bars are bent anyway. No need to take them out of bent bars. Oh wait, the throttle tube. OK, moving along and dragging my brain behind me...

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Thanks Blau. Great ideas!

In my case, what was I thinking??????? With the bar end bent that much it's pretty likely the bars are bent anyway. No need to take them out of bent bars. Oh wait, the throttle tube. OK, moving along and dragging my brain behind me...
Bars may or may not be bent. The screw that holds the bar ends on bends easily and could take a lot of the impact. I had mine fall over in the yard once and it bent my bar end over about half that much. Just grabbed it, spun it off and then straightened the bolt with a pliers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A couple other alternatives, that may depend on your shop resources and/or how much you like problems that let you buy more tools to solve them. 1) if there's no plastic or rubber near the end of the broken screw, weld on another piece of metal that would get you more purchase, a longer lever arm, or both (need a welder); 2) following up on that, you may be able to weld on a bit of threaded rod that lets you use a slide hammer to apply in-line percussion force outward (need a welder, a good weld, and a slide hammer). You may want to get some lube and/or gentle heat in there to help free up the plug that's stuck, though (see the diagrams), and that may do it without the extra tools. I put hand guards onto my '06 Wee and went through some trouble getting that part out, too.

Jim D
06 DL650

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the pics the OP posted, it looks like the black rubber is exposed. You could try screwing a couple of wood screws into the rubber opposite to each other and use them to try and wiggle it out. This could render the rubber part useless, but may get it out for you.
Just an idea.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all, I ordered some tools and the replacement screw and will update here to tell you what worked ^^. Happy to see that there seems to have a couple of options for me :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
"easy-out" is a terrible misnomer

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well, to continue my thread-jack, my bar end weights came out slick as can be today. As suggested I just twisted them loose a couple of turns by hand, smacked them in a bit with my hand and wiggled them out.

I even sat on her for the first time since the crash. I couldn't get her upright off the side stand - too much weight for my broken leg - but I think the bars may not be bent after all. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Administrator
5,995 Posts
Glad to hear that you are healing and thinking about your bike Glenn.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts