StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think here is where I will really begin to build a reputation on this site as the Homer Simpson of motorcycle repairs/modifications... (sigh)

Well - stupid me - I was installing GIVI crash bars and I overtightened one of the bolts... it broke real good (probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the bolt is still inside). It was on the left side, second bolt from the front of the bike. Bars feel really solid and I took the bike out for a quick spin around the block and there were no vibrations or strange sounds or otherwise... but it leaves me quite uncertain about how to proceed...

I have a few questions:

(1) is it safe to ride? (i.e. do I risk doing any damage to the engine) if I ride it in the short term until I can get it fixed

(2) is this a "must fix" situation? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but the instructions suggest that you can take all the bolts out on one side at a time - I know doing this in the garage vs riding with bolts removed or not properly installed is a different situation, but 7 out of 8 of the bolts are in there nice and snug without issue and another is in there (not sure how much exactly) perhaps I'm being a little too optimistic??

(3) what can typically be done to repair this? I'm not saying I would attempt this myself, but I'd like to be educated so I don't get hosed at the motorcycle repair shop. I'm sure it will be expensive fix if I have to take it in... I've been trying to google and see what's been done in other scenarios like this (surely I'm not the first person to do it) but have not really found anything that matches with a good description of how it was fixed.

I am totally feeling like an idiot at the moment and also pretty bummed out. Looking for any advice/sympathy I can get from fellow strommers.

:sad1:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Replace the bolt. I broke one mounting different bars. Depending on which one broke, you might be able to turn it from the back side.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the bolt. I broke one mounting different bars. Depending on which one broke, you might be able to turn it from the back side.
how do you replace a bolt? (i.e. first of all how do you get the old one out). did you do this yourself when yours broke or did you take yours in to get this work done???

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I was able to get it out easily. It's worth a try. I don't recall what I did to remove it, but it did NOT involve drilling and easyouts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts