StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 24,000km service done on my 2012 DL650A, and it started leaking engine oil all over the place about a day or two after the service.
The oil was leaking out of the washers for the tappet cover bolts. My mechanic looked at them and said they looked to have become "brittle" and cracked. He's never seen the problem before, but has ordered some more from Suzuki and will replace all of them with new ones.
The bike's only about 18 months old - anyone ever seen or heard of this before?

He's loaned me a CBR1100 blackbird and ZX10R to get around on while he's waiting on the parts, so it's not all bad.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I've replaced valve covers on 50,000 mile + heads and have been reading posts here for over seven years. That's a new one. I think your mechanic did something wrong and is covering for it. Stripping the threads is the usual thing that goes wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've replaced valve covers on 50,000 mile + heads and have been reading posts here for over seven years. That's a new one. I think your mechanic did something wrong and is covering for it. Stripping the threads is the usual thing that goes wrong.
Thanks Greywolf,
it seems that the mechanic working on my job re-used the washers when he really shouldn't have, and further investigation revealed that there was also some oil seeping out of the small drain hole behind the spark plug in the block, exactly as described here www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=16427.0
and here http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/64225-oil-seepage-spark-plug-area.html
The workshop owner was, to say the least, a little bit angry with his mechanic that a) he'd re-used the washers/gaskets when there were new replacements put aside for the job b) that he didn't spot the issues before handing the bike back, c) that diagnosis and resolution took so long and that d) there was a crack in the RHS plastic fairing that wasn't on the bike when it went in, wasn't disclosed and only discovered by the owner when the bike was returned, which he replaced and installed at the mechanic's expense.
All credit to the owner, "a little bit angry" doesn't do justice to his response.

PS also been running around on a GSR600 in the meantime, which has gone up in my estimation as a cracking commuter bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If done properly, no new parts other than shims are needed to do valve clearances. It sounds like another case of the gasket for the spark plug area not being properly positioned.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
+1 on the valve cover gasket being out of place. Another reason the DIY and ask us first.

I had it do the same thing already. I don't think the large rubber washers are leaking unless it was put together wrong. :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts