StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought this 2008 650 it had this extension on the front fender. I presume this is an aftermarket item. This fall I noticed the fender had cracked around the mounting screws, so I drilled new holes back from the edge a bit and moved the screws.

Now the fender had basically shattered around the mounting points, after very little riding. I clearly have a new fender on my shopping list. Has anyone else seen this keep me if failure?

Also, Where's the best place to buy a fender?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Looks like an after-market Fenda Extenda.

Cheapest source for a fender might be a bike salvage yard, then eBay. Otherwise, Ron Ayers, MR Cycles, Oneida Suzuki, etc.

I used a CPVC/PVC primer and glue to attach mine. Even though one or both are ABS plastic it has held for years.

YMMV

·
Registered
14,180 Posts
I managed to get one from a fellow member. A bit used but so is the bike. I think I paid $40 or so?
I occasionally thought about an extender but I'd use a sheet of rubber since horror stories about the fender getting hung up on the crash bars or the bash plate have graced this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
First time I have heard of a failure like that...…..others might have in the past, but I have not. Wonder if a rock-strike caused it to break apart like that??
Internet dealers like Stalky mentioned......add Cheap Cycle Parts to the list. Some places are cheaper than others (figure shipping in the equation)…...I don't know who is cheapest anymore.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The extender was installed incorrectly. It's supposed to be held in place with rivets, not screws, and this is almost definitely the reason it failed. If you want to fix it the cheap way, you could form a strip of kydex or sheet metal to the inside, clean and scuff the mating surfaces and epoxy it to hold everything together.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
It wasn't because they used screws vs rivets but that the fasteners were installed in the wrong location. The screws were installed where the 2 parts don't meet evenly/match in contour. The screws were tightened and stressed the plastic, eventually breaking it when it became embrittled dues to age/ozone/heat.
The screws or rivets (2 each) should be installed horizontally where the bottom of the fender meets the extender. This is a flat area and matches the contour of the fender.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
When I got a extender for my Wee it was to only be fitted with double sided tape, no fasteners required was the instructions.

That did not seam good enough to me so I used small nuts & bolts, there has never been a problem.

Rivets can apply too much pressure that the plastic will not like.

To me the big crack at the top may not have started at the fasteners you may have another problem.

I think in the past on this forum there were a few that had problems with the extender hitting their bash plate/crash bars on full compression of the front forks.

Have a good look at yours because having it crack once is unusual but twice is strange.

If you ride bigger gravel it can get caught and jammed under the guard but you hear that when it happens.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think dravnx is on the right track with the cause.

I didn't trust the double sided tape and didn't want to drill my fender, so I used ABS cement on mine and it's held well so far. If you do replace the fender, the extender is a worthwhile investment to keep from throwing crud all over your front cylinder and header.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies. I'ld bet money that the cause is the combination of the screws being misplaced and me cranking them down really tight. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I believe that 04-11 were all the same. Can someone concur?

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I believe that 04-11 were all the same. Can someone concur?
I believe your are correct........Cheap Cycle Parts shows the same part number from 2004-2011, as well as most (if not all....I did not verify) of the DL1000 front fenders.....all interchangeable I think. Cost New: $170 plus shipping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe your are correct........Cheap Cycle Parts shows the same part number from 2004-2011, as well as most (if not all....I did not verify) of the DL1000 front fenders.....all interchangeable I think. Cost New: $170 plus shipping.
True, and then having specified "2008" they have separate pages for K7 and K8 -- but doesn't that mean 2007 and 2008? And then having drilled down into those pages the part numbers (indeed all the part numbers on the page!) are identical. Parts numbering run amok.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
If you install a new Fenda Extenda, just use the ABS cement, and make sure you gently clean both surfaces with acetone or MEK before applying the cement, then clamp them together until it sets. I have mine that way on both the 2003 Concours and the 07 Wee-Srom, and they are rock-solid after 64,000 and 44,000 miles respectively.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I made one for my 2013 650 out of some rubber with a strip of aluminium to reinforce the join, and very small bolts to attach it. Turned out to be too much weight, and the fender cracked near where it mounts to the forks.

Bought a new fender and made a new extender out of a piece cut from a lightweight plastic flower pot, attached with double sided tape. Cost less than $2 and has been there for 20,000 km.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the stock fender "take off" from my 2011 650. It should fit I would think. I haven't looked at it for awhile and it's out in my shop but I believe I at put the extension on it.

tgeliot, you are welcome to it if you want. Please PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I bought my '06 in '07 and it had a fenda extenda on it. I don't know when it fell off but it was during a section of the Oregon BDR. 2 creek crossings and forest roads, rocks etc. left some damage to the lower edge of the fender.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts