StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a pleasant suprise yesterday when the quotes came back for my 2007 V-Strom. Eight months with ICBC for everything was $1390..which floored me! The basic from them with $2 million liability for the eight months was $420. The private quotes for collision, comprehensive and including up to $1000 for clothing and breakdown assistance were, for a full 12 months..From Megan Fitzpatrick $399 and from Beacon $325. I have had Beacon before and this is the same rate I paid for my KLR and I put a declared value of $10,000 on the bike. So for a total of $745 I get eight months on the road and an additional 4 in storage. This is with 40 years riding experience and no accidents. Well worth either calling Beacon directly or go through your local broker.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Similar kudos to Beacon. Had never heard of them til BCBruce gave me the heads up. Insured the 1000 for a full year. ICBC was 812 w/2 mil. Beacon was $355 for optional w/500 deductible on $12,000 value. Megson was $492 for optional and that was with 1000 deductable. So the full year was $1167. $137.00 cheaper. :D

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Sure wish we had options here in Manitoba. Well, I guess we do..we can either buy from the government run AutoPac, or dont. Those are our choices.

My K5 Wee is about 1400.00 for the full year. You actually are only paying for 5 months as such, the riding season as defined by AutoPac. May to October. The rest of the year you are only being charged about 8$ per month. But, you must buy for the whole year.

Because I have accumulated points, and have no claims, I actually pay around 960.00. Thats still an awful lot for basic insurance. To add fire and theft is additional.

Cheers

Broke in Mb

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Anyone ever had a claim with Megson Fitzpatrick or Beacon? I wonder if it's a case of "you get what you pay for."

I went the MF route, myself. Might look into Beacon next year.

Yeah, ICBC is rifreakingdiculous.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Anyone ever had a claim with Megson Fitzpatrick or Beacon? I wonder if it's a case of "you get what you pay for."

I went the MF route, myself. Might look into Beacon next year.

Yeah, ICBC is rifreakingdiculous.
Was wondering that during the whole transaction. The only difference I can see would be in the event of a total loss. ING through MF offers limited / no depreciation for the first two years of a new bike. Beacon is "agreed value", which means you think it is worth one thing, they think it is worth another. That would be problematic, especially in this, my second year of ownership.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I went with Beacon because of the their "agreed value" methodology. I was led to believe that once you agreed on the value of the motorcycle they would not apply depreciation and would pay out on the value you agreed upon. Just phoned the insurance co. to confirm and she said she believed that to be true, but it has me scratchin' my head now:confused: If I maintain coverage, will Beacon still pay out 10,170.00 plus another 1,000.00 for gear five years from now, or will we have to "agree" on a new value every year? Agent didn't seem to think so, but she wasn't the motorcycle "expert".

I could only insure to a value of 12,170.00 with Beacon (7200 for 06Wee plus farkles, 1000 for gear, 1000 for trailer, which I don't even have) MF would insure to 15k I think it was (new Wee pricing plus farkles plus gear & trailer). They then guaranteed replacement cost for 2 years before depreciation kicked in.

I'll have to make another call when the "expert" is in.

Everyone had enough rain?:(

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
V1VR, you probably did it the right way. I never really agreed on anything prior to signing. Agent said "How much to you want to insure for?. I came up with my purchase price, taxes, a grand for add ons. Rounded it down a bit (didn't want to appear greedy) and told her $12,000. After all it is year old. She said to take photos and get a couple of independant opinions as to it's value. Everything signed and done. I would much rather have gotten the company perspective on what they deemed fair value prior to signing. Oh well, live and learn. I will re-examine it all when it expires. I'll probably never get around to getting the opinions either.

Way more than enough rain!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also went with Beacon, $712 ICBC for 8 mos. and $332 for the Beacon on 10,500 declared / 500 deduct.
I also got a competitive quote from Coast Capital Insurance. I think they were about 400/yr, but unlike the others they were willing to prorate less than a full year.
As far as autos any way, I have had good service from "the privates", opposed to ICBC.
I was t-boned in my car 5 years ago by a guy who ran a red and my private auto insurer (Family AutoCover) said "take it to any shop you want and have them give us a call', never had to go anywhere or meet anyone and they shelled out for a rental as well. MUCH better than usually ICBC BS !

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Private insurance for cars?

Although Beacon and others are great for private coverage on motorcycles, I found that if you have a domestic car they can save you some cash, but if you drive imports, it's not so competitive. I priced for our Jetta TDI and my BMW 325is and there were no savings to be had, about the same as ICBC. That being said, I'm greatful for their bike coverage.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Although Beacon and others are great for private coverage on motorcycles, I found that if you have a domestic car they can save you some cash, but if you drive imports, it's not so competitive. I priced for our Jetta TDI and my BMW 325is and there were no savings to be had, about the same as ICBC. That being said, I'm greatful for their bike coverage.
how does it work?do you get the basic through icbc?then get the collision and comprahensive through beacon,icbc quoted me 180 a month for 6 months,300 deductable or 150 a month with 1000 deductable

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
how does it work?do you get the basic through icbc?then get the collision and comprahensive through beacon,icbc quoted me 180 a month for 6 months,300 deductable or 150 a month with 1000 deductable
That is correct Chris. Get your basic with ICBC, and because they hose you so bad on the rest shop around for collision and comprehensive. Not hard to beat ICBC's rate for those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts