StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up a new tire just across the line in the next few days. Here's the thing....

One time Canada Customs charges me duty on a tire, the next time all I pay is GST.

Does anyone have the actual reference to the duty aspect on tires?.....I do believe that there is NO duty on any motorcycle parts, no matter what the country of origin is.

Its hard to argue with these guys, cause they are "always right", and yet there seems to be confusion over the duty.

If I had the actual reference, I would be better able to argue my point. It seems to make a diff as to which Customs agent is working that day.

Cheers,

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think they can ding you if the (in this case) tire wasn't made in the US or Canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#P031

If you stay 48 hours, you get $400 duty-free:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#P021

Sometimes they ignore the country of manufacture, sometimes not. Good luck reading line 87 of this:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/01-99/tblmod-1-eng.html

Motorcycles are mentioned, but not tires specifically. And look at Note 2(a) at the top of this:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/t2008-03/ch87-eng.pdf

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeowzers....

I looked thru that info and cant find anything relating specifically to motorcycle parts.

Someone on the "other" Strom site had provided reference to bike parts including tires that indicated there was no duty regardless of country of origin. Of course, I can't find it now.

I tried calling Canada Customs and was on hold for 20 mins before I gave up. Any additinal attempts to call ended up being told my call is being transfered, and then a busy signal.

ugh

Thanks and cheers,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeowzers....

I looked thru that info and cant find anything relating specifically to motorcycle parts.
LOL. Welcome to Canada, eh, and enjoy your stay. Actually, the PDF I referenced last does have reference to motorcycle "parts", but doesn't specifically mention tires. Section 87.14 on page 21. And there's that caveat in note 2(a). My best guess is that the Customs guys just make it up as they go along.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tires:
4011.40.00 00
-Of a kind used on motorcycles NMB
Free
CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST,
MT, MUST, CIAT, CT,
CRT: Free

Other parts:
87.14 Parts and accessories of vehicles of headings 87.11 to 87.13.
-Of motorcycles (including mopeds):
8714.19.00 00 - -Other -
Free
CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST,
MT, MUST, CIAT, CT,

Quote those number codes, or take a print out of those pages of the pdf if necessary and you should only have to pay gst/pst if applicable.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellant!

I will take that with me when I pick up my tire.

What really pisses me off is I stopped at the Customs today (picking up a jacket) and they swore up and down there is no specific ref to motorcycle tires and they just clump them in with car tires. Duty at 7%.

O, and get this, the guy was a schmuck. He claims that you could put motorcycle tires on "anything", therefore the duty.

Geez

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires:
4011.40.00 00
Free
CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST,
MT, MUST, CIAT, CT,

Other parts:
8714.19.00 00 - -Other -
Free
CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST,
MT, MUST, CIAT, CT,

Quote those number codes, or take a print out of those pages of the pdf if necessary and you should only have to pay gst/pst if applicable.

Do you have a link to that page?

Cheers and well Done!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, took a bit, but found it.

Printed it off and will bring along when I go to pick up my tire in the States.

I know this is going to piss them right off.

I wonder how the long the course is these guys take to learn their attitudes and/or indignance.

Cheers!

ps: if there are any genuinally friendly CBSA employees reading this, please disregard

;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
You know, it's funny... In all my travels across the line, I've always found the American Customs guys to be the friendliest bunch... but coming back into Canada I've been treated like dirt many times... I just don't get it.

Thanks for the great references... I'm planning on a 7 to 10 day trip through the US in August (Not on my bike :( ) and I'm thinking of picking up some Givi cases on the way through... Hoping to come out duty and tax free, since there will be two of us, and should get $750 exempt each... I hope they don't treat us like crap again coming back into Canada...

R

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rarely go to the States, even though I live only 20km north of the border. However, I would agree with your statement. It would seem the Canadian agents enjoy their power abit too much. Its like your balls are in their hands, and they squeeze them to their liking.

Cheers!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tires:
4011.40.00 00
Free
CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST,
MT, MUST, CIAT, CT,
This comes from the "Rubber products" pdf listed on the canada customs site.

Other parts:
8714.19.00 00 - -Other -
Free
CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST,
MT, MUST, CIAT, CT,
This comes from the motor vehicles / parts pdf.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again, do you have a link to that page as well?

There is like a gadzillion references, hard to find what one is actually looking for.

cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts