StromTrooper banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I looked at them as a play bike but the H2 caught my eye. I'll wait and get the H2. It may eventually kill me, but it will be fun!
Save some money and pick up a gen 1 fz1. Almost 20 years later it is still one of the quickest production bikes ever built.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Surprised no one commented on Suzuki's being made in China :(

·
Vendor
5,853 Posts
This conversation and those videos reminds me why I love my 45 y/o Norton so much. It feels "relaxed." Long gears and all the power anybody "needs." I'd probably swap brakes though.

Surprised no one commented on Suzuki's being made in China :(
It's hard to touch that subject without being political. I've evolved to just ignoring it in the main forum and paying attention to it with my personal wallet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just spotted this thread, any more rumors on Suzuki importing this to the US?? Have to admit that I went to the International Cycle Show in Chicago in 2019 (I believe) and Suzuki had the baby V on display, they were judging reaction and trying to decide if it was worth importing. At the time there was only a few in the US, and when the sales guy at the booth told me that it was a 250 I simply replied that those few were probably all that they'd need to import.

Overall I had a nice conversation with the guy but it boiled down to me trying to explain that as a 250 it would be pretty much worthless on American freeways, his main counter was that the bike was mainly for 3rd world use. Which is fine, maybe if I visit one of those countries I'll rent one. But if it was a 500 I'd buy one and ride it here.

They're going to look really silly when KTM launches the same basic bike as a 490 in the next year or two.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,833 Posts
Don't discount it for day trips and the like. My Versys 300 has no trouble getting about very quickly, although on unladen day trips. Just ride it like you stole it.
Nice looking bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't discount it for day trips and the like. My Versys 300 has no trouble getting about very quickly, although on unladen day trips. Just ride it like you stole it.
Nice looking bike.
View attachment 289119
Have to admit that I really do like the looks of the Mini Vee, that's actually one of the reasons why I took a 3½ hour winter drive (the morning after a snow storm) into Chicago. It was in the back of my mind that even though it had been launched as a 250, with Suzuki pulling the plug on the old GS500 a 500cc model "had to be" available, sadly "nope".

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,833 Posts
It's engine size is also intended for the huge Asian market where "real" motorbikes are few and far between. Some of the Versys 300 facebook sites have a very large Asian following.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's engine size is also intended for the huge Asian market where "real" motorbikes are few and far between. Some of the Versys 300 facebook sites have a very large Asian following.
Yup, that's what the sales guy said at the Suzuki booth, and I get it - why build a new bike when one already exists? The problem is that for the US market a 250 just won't do on our freeways. So how about punching it out to something large enough that offers a decent amount of torque? With 300cc machines showing up in this class it's clear that a quarter liter machine will come up short.

But again, I really do like the bike and really want to seem something from Suzuki in the light weight ADV class.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Perhaps look at something like the CB500X HONDA CB500X (2019 - on) Review
Have to admit that I did catch a ride on a CB500x (neighbors bike), that size and power was pretty good and if Suzuki had that motor in the Mini Vee I'd own one (really!!). Maybe if they offered something before KTM releases their 490 I'll go that route, after all I already have 2 KTM dirt bikes in the garage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Of all the new bikes I've looked at in the last couple of years, I find the 300 Versys to be the most interesting for my tastes. It's a little V-Strom. Perfect. I haven't been able to ride one, but it just fits me well. I don't care if it's fast or not, it's a small bike to putt around on. If Suzuki built one like it I'd probably like that too. Best, DD

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,833 Posts
My Versys 300 gets around just as fast as my V-Strom.
It is not as comfortable on long or high speed highway trips, but is every bit as cabable on back roads - and FAR more capable off the seal. It also feels much lighter than the weights suggest, far more nimble (while every bit as stable) on gravel/dirt on 90/10 tyres than my V-Strom is on 50/50 tyres.
I actually get slightly worse fuel economy which I put down to needing to keep an extra 2-3,000rpm on the rev counter, but it never protests. That Ninja 300 motor is well tested and proven.
The Versys has a hard seat (which I have replaced) and is very short geared, which I have also rectified.

·
Registered
336 Posts
+1

Seems like Suzuki USA made a good decision not to import that one. Versys X300 is a much better bike. I suspect even the Chinese offerings like the CSC RX4, or the RE Himalayan are better motorcycles.
"I suspect even the Chinese offerings like the CSC RX4, or the RE Himalayan are better motorcycles." At least until the warranty runs out.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts