StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take off the turn signal lenses and the bulb holders inside, then carefully mold aluminum foil ("tin fawl" if yer from Ahia) inside the turn signal housings. It significantly increases the brightness, and the price is right.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
This is a great mod - costs zero and makes a big difference in turn signal visibility. I did this months ago and highly recommend it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,593 Posts
Fourvalve said:
Take off the turn signal lenses and the bulb holders inside, then carefully mold aluminum foil ("tin fawl" if yer from Ahia) inside the turn signal housings. It significantly increases the brightness, and the price is right.
Yup.....that is going to be a future mod for me, but I am gonna use aluminum HVAC tape and line the housing. My clear lenses and bulbs seem brighter than stock already, so this will help even more. You still enjoying your bike? The Ohio Strommers are starting to increase in numbers! 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,406 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Heavy, just go to Home Depot (or similar store) and buy a roll of the "aluminum foil" tape. $5. You know you have the right stuff if you can see yourself in the reflection from it. Don't use other reflective types of tape, because they will not be as effecient in reflectiving the maximum amount of light out.

I did my turn signals with this stuff and they do seem brighter. I can't justify buying new turn signals just for this, or even brighter bulbs because of other issues such as your wattage limit, etc. involved.

The only drawback is it's a pain to cut the pieces to fit in the housings.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,451 Posts
I have reflective tape in all signals with LED's outback and 50 Watt halogen bulbs in the front. The front are real bright and no flasher issue or heat issue. Flash On.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,451 Posts
Compared To What

Are the garden lights clear or amber. I have amber in my daytime running lites on the forks and they are very noticeable. The pair of running lites are cheaper than a signal from Zuk so if I do a drop test and need a signal I will be heading to Can Tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Stromette found use #87 for SOLAS tape! It's a signifcant improvement...but then again anything is better then the nothing that's inside these signals, huh? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
water warrior said:
Compared To What

Are the garden lights clear or amber. I have amber in my daytime running lites on the forks and they are very noticeable. The pair of running lites are cheaper than a signal from Zuk so if I do a drop test and need a signal I will be heading to Can Tire.
I used clear as that what was available at my local ACE hardware (9.84 for a box of 6 if I remember correctly). I didn't see any amber but it sounds like a great idea.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,451 Posts
I did try 35 Watt clear floods in my running lites but they were too bright and I didn't want to encourage road rage during the day. At nite they would have been just like a couple small hi-beams blinding oncoming traffic. Ride Safe, Be seen.
 

·
Forum Admin
Joined
·
11,174 Posts
Compared To What? said:
I went with 20W Halogen "garden" lights. . . .

Perfect fit in the housing and app. 150% brighter.

so how did you use the bayonet kind of adaper of the stock bulb with the 2 pin connectors on those? :?:
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Tin Foil!

After reading about the tin foil mod and my buddy complaining that he cant see my blinkers I ran out side and lined the blinker housings with Tin foil! Boy what a difference! I was amazed when i took the lenses off that there was no reflective field. Boy what theyll do to save money! Thanks for the info,Great Idea! Bob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
fatalerror said:
Compared To What? said:
I went with 20W Halogen "garden" lights. . . .

Perfect fit in the housing and app. 150% brighter.

so how did you use the bayonet kind of adaper of the stock bulb with the 2 pin connectors on those? :?:
Changed the OE connectors for homemade pin connectors (made from metal straight line wire splices).

Kinda like these...but insulated!

 

·
Forum Admin
Joined
·
11,174 Posts
Compared To What? said:
Changed the OE connectors for homemade pin connectors (made from metal straight line wire splices).

Kinda like these...but insulated!
I would love to do that too. Can you help out here with some conversion instructions plz?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
Pretty simple really. . .

A. Remove old bulbs
B. snip the wires to the bulb
C. Connect the inline crimp connectors to the wires
D. Connect the inline crimp style connectors to the new brighter bulbs
E. Carefully push the bulbs into the housings and bolt the lense back on.
 

·
Forum Admin
Joined
·
11,174 Posts
at the risk of sounding stupid:

you snip the wires that lead to the bayonet connectors inside the flasher unit, or do you disasemble the old bulbs?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top