StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a short ride with another Wee the other night. I didn't realize until then how pitifully dim the turn signals are.

So, what have you done to brighten them up? New bulbs? Reflective tape on the back of the housing?

How difficult is an LED conversion?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Easy fix.. Go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a role of the reflective foil tape. One roll is about $5, and it'll do approx. 300 turn signals. Open each signal, pop out the bulb holder and line the interior with the shiny tape. Replace bulb/lens and watch your signal brightness increase by about 200%.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Just after I bought my 6Fiddy I did a conversion to 21W halogen bulbs.

Removed the OE bulb and made up connectors for the wires...EZ install, very bright.

Initially I was worried about vibration ... but in 4 years it turned out to be a Non-issue.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I went on a short ride with another Wee the other night. I didn't realize until then how pitifully dim the turn signals are.

So, what have you done to brighten them up? New bulbs? Reflective tape on the back of the housing?

How difficult is an LED conversion?
I got some carboard egg cartons from my fridge, crumpled some aluminum foil, then rubber cemented it in to the egg carton, and placed this behind the light bulbs.
Price was 2.00, including breakfast.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
That's pretty cool. After 4 years, I guess there's no concern for heat issues.
Glad you reminded me ... I tested them for heat after the install by leaving them blinking for the better part of five minutes. Warm yes, hot no.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you talking about the aluminum ducting tape?

I don't have a Home Depot or any other large home type store near me, I'll have to order some.

Something like this: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtMX&VLXfyEV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

...or perhaps something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/mil-REFLECTIVE-FOIL-TAPE-ROLL/dp/B000XZGD2Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1214693111&sr=1-3
Yes, it's the foil tape shown in your second link. You should be able to find some at any hardware store. It's plenty shiny to reflect more light. There are absolutely no reflectors of any kind in the stock signal housings....

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I found some 50w 1156 style bulbs at the local auto parts store. They plug right in and cost $2.47 ea. They are noticeably brighter. I think I'll add the reflective tape to the housings next.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There was a thread on this when I first found this site about a year ago. Just use heavy duty aluminum foil from your kitchen to line the signals. Works just fine and costs virtually nothing.

"Course you don't get the satisfaction of hunting and gathering. But the instant gratification should be worth something.:p

·
Registered
708 Posts
i was thinking of taking my dremel, buffing up the inside of the rear housing, then using testors model paint (chrome or silver depending on what i can find) to increase reflectance, should be easier than trying to dice up tape on it

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Yes, it's the foil tape shown in your second link. You should be able to find some at any hardware store. It's plenty shiny to reflect more light. There are absolutely no reflectors of any kind in the stock signal housings....
Any auto parts store will have it as well.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
How about glueing some plastic mirror pieces in there? I think I'll try that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did the aluminum foil trick after seeing what it did for Stromette's bike. Then someone posted about using the reflector from a flashlight. Got out the dremel and got one to fit. It was absolutely no brighter than the foil.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the bulbs with the led 1156's? I have no experience with led's but I would think they would be brighter and less of a load on the system.
You can do it, and it will be brighter. However, you have to be mindful of the load ratings in order to make the flasher work properly. Or you have to replace the flashing unit with one specifically made for LED lights. Or you can place a resistor to increase the load, which all makes for a lot of work.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Don't Nuke this out.

1. Go to your kitchen
2. Get tinfoil
3. Go to garage
4. Remove lens covers with philips screw driver
5. Remove bulb
6. Smooth the foil in behind the socket
7. Replace bulb
8. Replace lens cover
9. Replace foil in kitchen
10. Procedure complete

Okay, so there I went, I nuked it out. Really, the foil, imperfectly placed behind the bulb will do wonders... it is so bright, anything else is wasted effort. This should only take 1 minute a blinker including the time to remove the lens.

By the time I typed this, I could have done all four of your blinkers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts