StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red and Silver reflective tape for trailers etc.. from Walmart.

Cut silver to fit in directional light housing. Leave backing on.

I used red behind red faux light on my Suzuki top case.
Will try silver tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Nice tip there Miles, thanks!

Cheers

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thumbs up, Miles2go...I did the exact same thing a while ago with my signals, and also laid strips behind the red lens of my JCW topbox. Got the DOT tape at work.

Still haven't gotten around to taking pics, but it has to be an improvement!

And thanks for passing on a good tip! It's what makes this site one of the best!

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I'm just getting ready to switch to clear lenses and amber bulbs. I'll now be using this idea as well. Thanks!

The difference on the topcase is huge. I'll be doing that too!

SS

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Aluminium cooking foil behind the bulbs as a reflector also works and it's free generally (if you can steal some from the kitchen).

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Brighter is better IMO.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I wonder how well silver (or better yet, chrome) model paint would hold up if you painted the inside of the turn signal "cup". Biggest challenge would be leaving it time to dry thoroughly, I would think; I can't imagine that the signal assembly gets that terribly hot as long as the bulb is cycling and off and not staying on continuously for extended periods.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For those that want to try this with the halogen bulbs. Be aware that this wont work with 1156 type bulbs. The 1156 bulb does not fit into the bulb socket of the turn signal. That is to say, it won't work on a 2009 V-Strom.
I attached pictures of the OEM bulb and the 1156 bulb, as you can see the little pins are not on the center line of the OEM bulb whereas they are on the center line for the 1156 bulb. I have seen the OEM bulbs for $5 - $6 online, pretty pricey if you ask me.

What I'll try to do is remove one pin on the 1156 bulb and see if I can somehow add a little pin in the right place to make it work.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Just use a BAU15s bulb instead of an 1156 to fit the socket. It's only the late models with clear turn signal lenses that use that style.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Signal Alternatives?

I've got a set of Blast signals that are supposed to work as replacements for the stockers on a 2007 Strom. My question is, How do you get to them? It appears you have to dismantle the whole rear end of the bike. ANy suggestions?
Silverfox

Tombstone of WC Fields: "I'd rather be here than Philadelphia."

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've got a set of Blast signals that are supposed to work as replacements for the stockers on a 2007 Strom. My question is, How do you get to them? It appears you have to dismantle the whole rear end of the bike. ANy suggestions?
Silverfox

Tombstone of WC Fields: "I'd rather be here than Philadelphia."
Are you replacing the brake lights? In that case you'd have to take off the rear end of the bike. It is not that hard really.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Any details as how you wired that top box...... I was thinking of doing just that..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Any details as how you wired that top box...... I was thinking of doing just that..
I recommend one of the VStrom Brake/Tail/Signal Adaptors from here No muss no fuss. Its almost as easy to use positaps, but this is a little neater.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Too much time on my hands..........

In my 'quest' for brighter turn signals I have tried using the 20W halogen bulbs in a standard socket. While these are brighter than stock I didn't like them that well.

I do like the LED conversions but these are ridiculously expensive. So, a first attempt at making my own LED conversion. This 'creation' does not conserve power, that was not my goal. It is however possible to use different flash relays and omit the load resistor to conserve power. The stock housing is left as is and in a pinch the whole assembly comes out and I can put OEM bulbs in the socket. Materials: some orange LED's from superbrightleds.com $0.24 each, a LM317 voltage regulator, some resistors, one 10 ohm 10W load resistor, 1156 bulb sockets with one of the protruding pins removed. Pics attached. I have a little video that I will try to host later (photobucket is down at the moment). At this point the assembly hardly looks professionally made but it does work and these are definately brighter than stock. :rolleyes: In a possible next version I can probably cram more LED's on the board. In the mean time any thoughts/questions are welcome. Yes I had to much time on my hands :D
I rode about 100 miles today and they are still working. ;)

A link to a short video. The camcorder sensor was overloaded in this setting.
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb91/abiermans/?action=view&current=uvs090516-001-1.flv

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With all these other great sugesstions and methods , I feel like the kid that brings the working volcano to the state science fair competition....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Red and Silver reflective tape for trailers etc.. from Walmart.

Cut silver to fit in directional light housing. Leave backing on.

I used red behind red faux light on my Suzuki top case.
Will try silver tomorrow.
I got just this very idea a few minutes while fiddling with my bike out in the garage, just wasn't sure what to use other than aluminum foil. Nice to know I can grab exactly what I need and not have to go searching for the right material to get this done. Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts