StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a simple choice, really. But not all that simple, I guess.

A set of the T31 buns is $235.76 at my preferred seller, Rocky Mountain.

A set of A41 rubber is $247.76

Use case is 99.99% street, DL1000, VERY hard cornering, and all weather use.

FWIW, I really loved the Battle Wing 501/502. Relatively inexpensive and they worked great and lasted. You can still get these in a few places, but only in the "OEM" versions, which seem to have significantly less tread life. Not sure whether they're softer or have less tread depth or what, but they're definitely not the ones I want.

Current rubber is the Metzeler Tourance Next. Very meh, but they did last a long while.

No, I'm not paying $360 for a set of Michelins.

Yes, I'm aware I missed last month's rebates... don't rub it in. :crying2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Were there rebates last month? I bought a set of T31s after exhaustive research from AMT for 258 shipped to me and the 60 rebate brought them to 198 to my door. That rebate ended on April 30th. I like you am 100% pavement and hit the corners hard at times when the mood strikes. I still have not mounted them though so I cannot say if they will be what I expect but I am thinking they will be. Smoother ride than the stiffer sidewall A41s and better grip in the corners with better mileage too.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,307 Posts
We are running a set of the A41's on the Super Tenere. I have run two rears and one front T-31 on the BMW RT. Been around the tires you mention enough to be able to compare. The A41's are really good tires. Very good grip, but they do ride a bit harsh compared to something like the T-30 we had on it before. The A-41 looks a LOT better on the adventure style bike for what that is worth. Looks like the A-41 rear will out wear the Battlewings that came on the ST, but we are suspicious that the front tire will not outlast the rear.

The T-31 is the best all around street tire I have run. You won't need the "GT" version on the Strom, so the ride will be quite nice. I have over 14,000 miles on this front T-31, the rear has well over 7,000 and looking at my tread depth/mileage chart from new on these last two T-31's it will go well over 9000 miles. If I leave it on( upcoming trips dictate that). That is better mileage than I have gotten on any Michelin, as good as the ME880 Metzeler, and better than the T-30 Bridgestones did or the Dunlop Roadsmarts. Buy with confidence. Did I mention they are cheap compared to other leading brands? Grip on wet is as good as any tire ( meaning I have not lost grip in any wet conditions and I ride in some extremes of that). Grip on dry gives confidence, and feedback is good. Especially when you drop pressure in the front tire....

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, realshelby -- that's exactly the info I was looking for.

I'm leaning toward the T31; I haven't tried a pure street tire on the Vee yet, and now I'm curious. I have a couple of very sporty road trips coming up, and I'll likely take the Vee to one or both. I use my KLR for the dual-sport trips; the Vee is a sport-tourer.

Interesting that you mention they have a nicer ride; I can't say I've thought much about that, but it would be welcome.

FWIW, I usually order through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC because they always have the lowest tire prices or are within a buck or two, plus I get a 5% credit, and I almost always get my goodies the next day from their warehouse in Kentucky. Revzilla has a similar 5% program, but they don't have the goodies for my KLR that RM has. And some of RM's house brand stuff (Tusk, Battle Born) is quite good.

·
Registered
287 Posts
bwringer: "a couple of sporty road trips coming up"

I just replaced my Michelin Pilot 4's after 5500 kms, the rear tire never felt right, rough and noisy and unevenly worn, but then again the 3's were noisy with vibration. These were my second set of Michelin Pilots. I read some great reviews coming out of the UK regarding the Metzler Roadtec 01, a sport touring tire, from guys riding the 1200GS and other 'adventure' bikes ridden only on pavement. I purchased a new set on my Vstrom 650 and after 1000 kms its feels like a totally new handling bike, so smooth into the corners, quiet, with great grip, and they seem to respond to a heavy handed throttle quicker than the Michelins or the Bridgestones. Look into them.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure the Metzeler Roadtec is a lovely tire, but a set is almost $330 and I'd have to order from a different vendor.

LOL NOPE.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bridgestone had a tire rebate program in the spring, hopefully will be repeated in 2020. Would make a good deal on the T31s even sweeter.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got the A41s and love them. My bike is a commuter and I also look to find the long way home a lot. I've had it on many dirt roads and even part of the local enduro route and these tires just plain work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a 650 with over 70k km and have run Trailwings and Tourance tires. Switched to A-41s this year and they are a big improvement on the pavement. They track better and turn in better. With a heavy load for camping they stay planted in the corners. The old tires would start to give a bit when pushed hard. Up here in Canuckistan the A-41 and T-31 rears are almost the same price. But the A-41 front costs more than the rear and is 32 bucks more than the T-31 front.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I put A41's on last year and are happy with them. Not riding much this year though, family issues.

I'd probably go back to Shinko 705's though. Best DS tire out there IMO.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback! A set of T31 donuts will be on my doorstep tomorrow.

I think mainly I wanted to try something different this time around. I haven't tried a set of pure street tires on the Vee, and I have a couple of VERY sporty road trips coming up.

And of course, when it rains, it pours.... turns out my chain is roached, and my rear brake pads are down to almost nothing. And it's due for an oil change.

I'm going back to a 530 chain; the added life you get with a 530 on a Vee makes this a no-brainer (a 530 on a Vee lasts at LEAST half again as long as a 525). I knew this day would come and I've already collected the sprockets on sale, so I just had to order a good chain.

In a way, it's painful to spend close to $500 on a bike that's "worth" diddly/squat. But it works soooooooooo nicely...

Oh well. Nobody rides for free.

·
5,307 Posts
I think you made a good choice with the T-31. Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Almost forgot about this thread:

I spooned on a set of the T31s, and soon after took them for a nice hard flog in Missouri.

Impressions:
- This is a little hard to describe, but I've mounted a LOT of motorcycle tires, and these are the first I've seen where they seem to be molded into their exact final inflated shape. Most tires are shipped with cardboard dividers to keep the beads apart so you have a prayer of seating the beads, and these didn't need them. Very high quality impression at sniffing distance, ya know?

- Very nice, neutral, low-friction feel pushing the bike, in low-speed maneuvering, and at speed.

- I've mounted many other sport and sport-touring tires on V-Stroms, like the various Michelin Pilots, and the T31s are distinctly stiffer and heavier.

- Ride and feel are great, but not quiiiiite as cushy or informative as a pure sport tires. Nicer than any of the dual-sport tires.

- I pushed these tires very hard in Missouri's twisties, both wet and dry, and experienced excellent grip and totally neutral feel.

- Wear so far is a lot better than I expected. My tires and the tires of my riding buddies are normally pretty darn roached and frazzled out to the edges after the Missouri rally (we've had this rally for five or six years running, and always hit most of the same roads). I was leading my group, and mine was the only bike with tires that didn't look like they'd just done a long hot day at the track; no boogers, only slightly rough, edge lettering battered but still visible, etc. I'd say this bodes quite well for overall longevity.

- I also have to mention the bargain price -- $235.76 to my door from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. An official screaming bargain in my book if they can make it through 6,000 to 8,000 miles of my abuse. Other sporty/sport-touring choices are about $100 more.

- BTW, the tires I replaced were a set of Metzeler Tourance Next. For 90% tires, these were pretty darn awesome in all conditions, and lasted a good long time (I believe I swapped them at about 8,000, which is excellent for me). Most importantly they didn't turn the least bit evil as they wore. Bloody expensive, though.

Reactions: Big B

·
5,307 Posts
Are you sure you didn't get the "GT" version. They are a lot stiffer and ride is more firm.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you sure you didn't get the "GT" version. They are a lot stiffer and ride is more firm.
No, the GT version is not available in V-Strom sizes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mounted the A41s on my 2014 650. First time I removed and replaced motorcycle tires, was surprised how difficult it was to spoon them on, sidewalls are really stiff. Tried Yamalube, which dried too fast, resorted to 303 Protectant, which makes rubber/plastic super slippery, which helped. Accidently bought 4 rim protectors rather than 2, but it was a blessing as using all 4 made the job a bit easier. Tipping into turns is much easier than with the OEM tires (Battlwings, I think), and I cut my "360" by at least 4 feet FWIW. Wanted to go with the T31s as Realshelby suggested, but the A41s were cheaper @ Rocky Mtn ATV, and these look more appropriate on my street only ADV bike...
Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts