StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very happy with the OEM Battle Wings, so I decide to get a new set that I was planning to install over the winter; but after close inspection I'm thinking that the sidewall is so stiff on these tires that I don't know if I'll be able to install them using tire irons ー as I've always done in the past.

Has anyone here done a 'manual' install (no tire machine) with the BW 502 & 501s, or similarly stiff tires? Can it even be done without damaging the rims?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I did it and I had never changed a tire before. I used the zip tie method and it worked like a charm. I've put 13k on it without any issues.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I tried it with my Harbor Freight setup and it was too difficult, so I just took the tire in. Very stiff sidewall as mentioned.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i put a BW rear on my glee with tire irons. Yea, it was kind of a bitch, but if this almost-50-year body could do it, then pretty much any youngin could handle it. I wouldn't want to attempt it at 70, though.

I removed the existing weight and used Balance Beads. No issues.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have 7000 miles on mine and they are due to be changed. I'm 6'3 285 lbs so I think that has a look to do with the mileage.

If you change them - do you balance them?
You can use beads to balance them.

I didn't find them that hard to change but I have nothing to compare to. I will let you guys know how the pilot road 4 install goes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been mounting my own tires for 6 years now. Haven't balanced one since my first couple, and haven't had one problem, not even on high performance machines. :beatnik:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the zip tie method and it worked like a charm…
Zip ties… Does that really work? I've seen it done on some videos but it just doesn't look look like it would work on tires as stiff as these.
If it works, I might have to revisit the technique!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
worked like a charm. you need some big ones though dont piss around with linking a few together. 0 chance of putting a mark on the rim and with beads i had no issues.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have installed quite a few sets of battlewings with tire irons no prob
:smile2:
(Not all on my V2 lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts