StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've read around a little and cant come to a 100% conclusion. On the BW502 tires, is the J spec only related to the construction of the 502's, and not particular to the rim. I assume its not rim related because people put all kinds of tires on. It's just weird that the spec for these tires on the bike is type J, unless its bridgestone specific.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just went through this. The Type J (V-Strom 1000 spec, per the Bridgestone website) has less tread depth that a Type E, and a H speed rating and 69H load rating. The Type G-TT version (tube tires) has the same tread depth as the J and the same rating and the E. It's very confusing and I'm not sure there is a reason, other than the dealers can charge more because they are selling you "OEM spec tires". Fortnine's pricing is a perfect example. Type G is $151.99, Type E is $162.99 and Type J is $211.99.

Check out Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires

·
Registered
562 Posts
I got confused recently on Fort Nines website and ordered the G-Spec 150/70R17 not realizing it required a tube despite initially having the G-Spec recommended to me by F9 staff. Look below (from F9 website) they don't even tell you if the F, J & E spec tires are TT or TL, yet they do on the two sizes of G-Spec they offer.:confused: However, the G-Spec in the 150/70R17 size is not offered in TL on the F9 site. Something is off with Bridgstones marketing stile:furious:.

OEM Replacement:
G Spec - BMW F650GS (140/80R17 TL)
G Spec - BMW F800GS (150/70R17 TT)
F Spec - Honda CROSSTOURER
J Spec - Suzuki V-STROM 1000 ABS
E Spec - Yamaha XT1200Z SUPER TENERE

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

So what i gather is the J spec is for bridgestone. If i want to order a Michelin or other brand, there is no J spec from them and will mount just fine?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I decided to bypass the Battlewing confusion and instead ordered Battlax A41's. There's no "spec", just sizes. Pricing was similar to the BW's and reviews are good, so it was an easy decision. The G spec is a tube tire, and the other specs all cost more. I wasn't willing to pay more for the same tire just because it has a certain letter attached to it.

·
Premium Member
4,419 Posts
I have been running Bridgestone Battlewings since my OEM Trailwings wore out. I run BW501 TL G spec on the front and BW502 TL E spec on the rear. I think only major difference between specs, as long is the size is correct for a V-Strom, is tread depth.

No issues. Though the rear tire has always been kind of a bugger to get on on the rim sometimes.

Just mounted my first non-Bridgestones; Michelin Anakee Adventures. No specs. :laugh2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts