StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 DL650 has a Bridgestone BW501 front tire. It looks to be in very good condition but I have no idea how the tread depth compares to new. Can anyone provide a tread depth measurement from the centre of a new BW501 front tire? There's no place locally that I can go to have a look myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
It depends on the tire type, but as per Bridgestone's site, the tread depth when new for a 110/80-19 Type E tire is 6/32". This is the rating you'd find on tires for something like a Super Tenere. For a Type G tire the depth is 8/32", and for a Type J tire, it's 5/32".

Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires

·
Registered
445 Posts
002100 110/80R19M/C 19 BW501F BW TL J 59H H 25.9 4.3 5 2.50 536 41 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom 2014 - 2016

From Bridgestone site....5/32's is stock depth.

Great tires....on my second set on an '09 Wee...typical mileage for me has been 12-14k per set, your mileage may vary!

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/offroaddualsport.aspx

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I wasn't aware of the motorcycle tire specific site, only the general Bridgestone site, which is essentially useless for MC tire specs.

Regarding the various types - what's the difference? The front tire on my bike is a Type G, which is not the original front tire per the PO. It has about .15" to .16" of depth remaining, which is about .10" down from new (.25"). The back tire, which I'm currently replacing, is a BW502 Type E, which also does not seem to be stock. I'm replacing it with a G as it turns out. The only difference I can see from the specs is tread depth.

So, is there much to this? This is the first time I've noticed different "types" of the same tire and same tire size when buying MC tires.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe the 501/502 G spec is suitable for the 650 and the J spec version is suitable for the 1000, the reasoning being that the heavier bike (1000) requires stiffer side wall than the 650. I have no idea why the tread depth would be different on the various specs of the same tire. I have a new G spec 502 on route that will hopefully show up today.

·
Registered
657 Posts
@Skinner:
I'd be skeptical about buying a used tire regardless of how it appears or its tread depth. You may luck out and buy a tire from someone who just wanted to get something that matches whatever front they were running, or switch from a street-bias to a more off road capable set of tires, but it may have a misaligned belt causing a squirm or a bead that won't completely seal. I've bought good-appearing truck tires to replace a blowout on a semi while on the road. Invariably, one of the two afore mentioned problems manifest themselves after a time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Skinner:
I'd be skeptical about buying a used tire regardless of how it appears or its tread depth.
Sorry if I confused anyone - I'm not buying a used tire. I'm replacing the back tire with a new one, and was curious about how much is left on my front tire as compared to new.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry if I confused anyone - I'm not buying a used tire. I'm replacing the back tire with a new one, and was curious about how much is left on my front tire as compared to new.
My bad Skinner:frown2: I misunderinterpolated your post.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
I don't believe those letter ratings like Bridgestone uses are industry standards; I think it's an in-house thing with Bridgestone. It's not a load rating thing (that's a number designation) or a speed rating (that's a letter, like a "V", but it's always attached to the load rating, like "59V").

If I had to guess (and believe me, it's a guess), the differing tread depths have something to do with the altered sidewall sides for each tire type. A radial tire has to maintain a specific ratio of sidewall height to tire width, height, and profile. They may have to decrease the tire height for some versions because of the different sidewall, and decreasing the tire height could also decrease the tread depth.

Or maybe I'm full of shit. Could be a little from column A and a little from column B.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
The letter designation from Bridgestone is an OE (Original Equipment) for specific manufacturers. G for BMW, E for Yamaha, J for Suzuki, etc.

There are slight differences in sidewall flex, load rating, etc. between the tires based on manufacturer specs. Any one of those listed should work so long as properly sized.

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
I have run Battlewings G spec in the front and E spec in the rear through numerous changes. Have never had an issue outside of the rear being a real [email protected]#$% to mount.

YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts