StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've been riding my (new to me) 2005 wee for several months now. It came with Bridgestone Battlewings. I'm not extremely experienced on a motorcycle, but I've had no issues with the tires on the mountain roads around my home in Lake Tahoe. I am hoping to ride some fire roads / forest service roads / non-technical jeep roads in order to pursue Fall photography and camping. I ride bicycles a lot, so I can pick a line and expect to ride slow and conservative. SO, will the Battlewings be adequate for mellow dirt riding?
And, what should I carry in case of a flat?

Thanks in advance as always<

JP

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Battlewings will do fine IF it is dry and IF it is truly mellow dirt... Take it slow & easy.. For flats, a simple plug kit and mini-compressor will get you out of most jams... For more serious tire damage (bad cut/slice) or anything that a plug kit won't fix is going to require tools and tire irons to remove whichever wheel & break tire bead, some way to get the bike off the ground (centerstand?), an appropriately sized tube to throw in temporarily to hopefully get you out of the woods, the compressor to fill it back up, and you might need something to use to put between the tube and tire at the damaged area to prevent the tube from bulging out of the cut/split when you blow it back up. Ive seen people use cardboard, dollar bills, and cut off piece of T-shirt, but anything that would hold the tube in the tire would work.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
I carry a tubeless puncture repair kit and a pump. I decided that carrying a toolbox of gear with you was not justifiable. So far I have been lucky, but I never reduce my pressures on dirt.
I hope those Battlewings are better than the atrocious Bridgestone Trailwings that came OEM on my V-Strom. Part worn on seal they would follow every seam and patch on the road and offroad the rear would always be slipping sideways.
There are better choices. Just take your time until you get to know them, and increase your speed slowly. Changing direction and loose deep patches of gravel are the places to take care.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey, JP -
Am on my 2nd set of Battlewings. They are a great all-round tire...fire roads are just fine. Wet dirt, not so much! The Wee has great manners so riding on gravel roads is not an issue. As you get onto looser surfaces like sand, deeper gravel, etc. you will find that the Battlewing is not the best choice. Air down for loose but the typical fire road on the East Coast is hard-packed and there is no need for the softer sidewall.
For most riding, a simple plug kit and a small compressor or even a bicycle pump will suffice to get you home. A credit card and a AAA membership also works, lol
Most flat tires are a result of riding way inside or way outside turns where the likelihood of road debris that can cut or puncture a tire is much greater. Keeping to the middle of the road surface helps to prevent this, especially on roadways and ramps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts