StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OEM tires are about gone at 12,500 miles so it's time for new shoes. I don't ride off road my 650 is a work commuter and on weekends I like to carve up the twisties. This street tire is a duel compound and should give me good tire life.

https://www.bridgestone.com/corporate/news/2017121502.html

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually it's 13,270, but who's counting. :D

Reactions: ommoran

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I second notacop.

Holy crap i would never change brand if i found something that lasted as long. Or even came relatively close to that.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Dunlop E4's on my Cross Country last around 20,000 miles and are duel compound like these tires.

Why try something new? Why not...they are fair priced and no doubt will last as long or longer and give a better street handling response.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I want to try some A41's but they are so darn expensive! When S705's are such a good deal.

I used T30's on the SV and wasn't really impressed. BT023's were great and cheap.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to try some A41's but they are so darn expensive! When S705's are such a good deal.

I used T30's on the SV and wasn't really impressed. BT023's were great and cheap.

Why is that?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,354 Posts
I have run BT 023's, T-30's, and T-30 EVO's on the Stroms, Super Tenere, and the Beemer. T-30's of both variety are about the best all around tire I have used. Have NO idea what the new T-31 will offer until I try them. Supposed to be similar to the EVO, but they do have a completely different tread pattern.

·
Registered
472 Posts
With that kind of mileage and service from a tire, why change to an unknown?
I second notacop.

Holy crap i would never change brand if i found something that lasted as long. Or even came relatively close to that.
Just keep in mind, number of miles you get from a tire is not just the tire itself, but also the rider's right hand. (and for Harley riders, also right foot :glare:)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Man, if I was getting 13,000 miles out of a tire, I'd never even consider switching. I don't think you could do better than that unless you put a car tire on your bike. I've never used a Battlax tire, but I've gone through a good many Bridgestone Battlewings, and I don't think I ever got more than 6000 miles out of the rear. I eventually switched to Shinko 705's, which tend to get even less mileage than the Battlewing, but they're a lot cheaper and easy to change by hand.

I'm planning a long trip this summer, and I'm probably going to switch to either a Heindenau K60 or a Mitas E07 Dakar, both of which seem to get a lot better mileage than anything I've been using.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Man, if I was getting 13,000 miles out of a tire, I'd never even consider switching. I don't think you could do better than that unless you put a car tire on your bike. I've never used a Battlax tire, but I've gone through a good many Bridgestone Battlewings, and I don't think I ever got more than 6000 miles out of the rear. I eventually switched to Shinko 705's, which tend to get even less mileage than the Battlewing, but they're a lot cheaper and easy to change by hand.

I'm planning a long trip this summer, and I'm probably going to switch to either a Heindenau K60 or a Mitas E07 Dakar, both of which seem to get a lot better mileage than anything I've been using.
Go with the E07, the mileage you are seeking is very obtainable with that tire. :smile2:

·
Registered
737 Posts
T31, or R41?

I run the T30 and T30 Evos on my Yamaha Fazer 8, which is a little lighter than a DL1000, and probably a little heavier than a DL650.

I love them. Great handling, great stick, and they wear quite well - for a sporty tire.

I guess I'm going to be ordering a set of T31s, unless they can still get T30 Evos at a discount or something.

My front is so worn down now that you can barely even see any tread - not good for rain. It's really affected the handling, being so worn. Bike wants to stand up. But that only happened in the last 1,000 km or so, before that they were smooth, predictable, and easy to turn in.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Go with the E07, the mileage you are seeking is very obtainable with that tire. :smile2:
That's kind of the direction I'm leaning at the moment, though the K60's have their share of fans. The Dakars were just a little cheaper than the Heidenaus. I was going to leave my Shinko 705 on the front, since they get around 9000 miles for me, but the Shinko is a radial.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ride 450 miles a week and 200 of those are round trip to my get away house in the mountains with the good roads that lead to the house (sweeping curves posted at 50mph that I exceed) 250 miles are commuting to work in slow to 75 mph traffic and once a month is a day trip with my riders group. I do very little stop light to stop light and I never engine brake so that's probably why tires last me so long.

Reactions: Rides2Work

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
RCinNC, I put a heidenau K60 on in St Paul and it got about the same mileage as the Shinko but felt nasty in the tight stuff toward the end of its life.
The Shinko wears out but doesn't seem to get that slick slippery feel.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That's disappointing, notacop; I'd read a lot of accounts of guys consistently getting eight and nine thousand miles out of the K60s. I don't really need a 50/50 tire for my trip (the most off-road stuff would be Phantom Canyon Rd, the Moki Dugway, and the Valley of the Gods Road); what I do need is a long wearing tire so I won't have to change one mid-trip. Riding two-up with gear, my experience with the Shinko 705 (as much as I like them) says that they won't last for the whole trip.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just keep in mind, number of miles you get from a tire is not just the tire itself, but also the rider's right hand. (and for Harley riders, also right foot :glare:)
Welllll 13270miles being 21356kms...

The battlewing gives me a regular 10000+kms with "spirited" riding. I've tried a few others but none came close to that magical number.

If someone sells affordable tires that last 20000+kms and lets me lean in corners, i'm buying!
:)

Ps: I love the T30, but it only lasts 7000kms for me, i'm currently at my third back tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im looking to purchase my first Vee1 or 2 soon.Have been looking through threads and have not found a lot of info on any Michelin.Which Michelin is all I ever ran on sport bikes,they gave good mileage and stuck to the ground well.

I see lots of the battlewings on the roads here in Memphis,so they must perform well.

Any opinions on the Anakee 3? .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have the 3's (were on when I bought the machine). Have probably 11,000mi or so on 'em. Front's 'bout done, rear's squared off a bit, yet still has some life.

They have been a fine/OK tire, mostly on pavement.

I'm going to be changing both of them & plan to try Dunlop Trailsmarts for the next skins.

·
Read Only
222 Posts
A40

I changed from trailwings to Battlaxe A40 tyres front and back, amazing confidence booster. I never had confidence in the wings especially if the road was wet, the A40s are very impressive in the wet and amazing in the dry no more chicken strips on my tyres. Only got 3000km on them so far, they still look like new to me. Can't remember what I payed for them and I don't care.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts