StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I changed out my Bridgestone Battle Wing tires. The tires accumulated 23,000 miles before the change to another set of Battle Wing tires. I thought I'd notice a signification change with the new tires. I didn't. Now I feel remorse for having to get ride of tires that looked as if they had another 3-4 thousand miles left on them.

They have lasted longer than the OEM Trailwings, but just how long are these Battle Wing tires are suppose to last. Just curious.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not sure how long they would last, but really happy to see your post as I changed to Battlax also recently. :thumbup: Really like them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Which Battlax are you using for the rear? I see where the BT020 comes in the correct size for the front but didn't see anything listed in the rear size.
Thank you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a new Battlewing ready to replace the rear which did 20,000 miles and has tread left. Thought about changing brand/type but am happy with the performance, so stayed with 'em. They get their mileage from the depth of tread, not from hard compound.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was drunk when I wrote that post. Really I was. Drank a 40 ounce Malt in less than ten minutes.

Anyway post corrected to show Battle Wing. Sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like to believe the claim that 90% of tire problems occur during last 10% of tread life. My own experience seems to point toward 90% of nail punctures occur during first 10% of tread life. In any case I never sweat leaving a little tread on used tires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Which Battlax are you using for the rear? I see where the BT020 comes in the correct size for the front but didn't see anything listed in the rear size.
Thank you.
I have a BT020 in the front and a BT021 in the rear. Not sure whether they have them in the newer models, these are just the 2 the shop had in stock. Both are the same sizes as the standard Trail Wings.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I like to believe the claim that 90% of tire problems occur during last 10% of tread life. My own experience seems to point toward 90% of nail punctures occur during first 10% of tread life. In any case I never sweat leaving a little tread on used tires.
I read that and had to laugh. I put a new rear tire on my Gold Wing last season it was a Dunlop elite III. It was a Kings ransom to buy. 23 miles later a 2 1/2 inch screw entered this new tire. Proving your theory.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Today I changed out my Bridgestone Battle Wing tires. The tires accumulated 23,000 miles before the change to another set of Battle Wing tires. I thought I'd notice a signification change with the new tires. I didn't. Now I feel remorse for having to get ride of tires that looked as if they had another 3-4 thousand miles left on them.

They have lasted longer than the OEM Trailwings, but just how long are these Battle Wing tires are suppose to last. Just curious.

How in the hell are you getting 23,000 miles out of a rear tire? My tires are squared off and down to the wear bears in the middle by 10,000.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am wondering the same thing!!!!!! I thought that I was doing really really good to get 13,000 miles on a rear tire and it was looking sort of like a racing slick!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am wondering the same thing!!!!!! I thought that I was doing really really good to get 13,000 miles on a rear tire and it was looking sort of like a racing slick!
I was thinking the same thing. Which is why I stared this thread. My OEM Trail Wings lasted ~10,000 miles. Killed early by Dyna Beads.

Replaced the Trail Wings with Battle Wings at ~10,500 miles. Bike now has 33,743 miles. That’s roughly 23,000 miles, front and rear on my second set of tires,… the Battle Wings. And they were in much better condition than the OEM Trail Wings. Could have easily taken them beyond 25,000 miles. And since they've been sitting in my garage for almost a year...well I needed the space..so on the bike they went. And I always change front and rear together.

So…just how long are the Battle Wings are suppose to last? I'm feeling remorse for having to change out the tires too early.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am confused. :confused:Your title and original post referred to Battlax, and now post refers to Battle Wings, which one did you get 23,000 miles from.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
808 Posts
Wow! I've never actually worn out a tire myself. Bought my CBR used with crappy tires, wore them down, replaced them with Pilot Road 2, ran those to 50%, sold the bike, bought the Wee with Conti Trail Attacks, replaced them with Anakee 2s last week, plan to replace those in Fairbanks (they'll probably be >50% still!)... switch to K60s...

maybe I'll ship the Anakees home and wear out the K60s sometime this fall or winter and swap the Anakees back on.. we'll see! But 23k sounds like a hell of a lot. I wouldn't expect more than 8.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What the hell am I doing wrong?:confused: I have never gotten over 10,000 miles and by then finished the last 50 + with the cords showing.

I watch the pressure, have them well balanced, ride kind of sane, 99.9% highway. What are you doing to get such wear out of your tires?
V-Tour

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Which is why I stared this thread. My OEM Trail Wings lasted ~10,000 miles. Killed early by Dyna Beads.

Replaced the Trail Wings with Battle Wings at ~10,500 miles. Bike now has 33,743 miles. That’s roughly 23,000 miles, front and rear on my second set of tires,… the Battle Wings. And they were in much better condition than the OEM Trail Wings. Could have easily taken them beyond 25,000 miles. And since they've been sitting in my garage for almost a year...well I needed the space..so on the bike they went. And I always change front and rear together.

So…just how long are the Battle Wings are suppose to last? I'm feeling remorse for having to change out the tires too early.
Musta meant 23,000 km! And, even that's really pushin' it too far. Talk about squared off!?! Or, DIY Darkside Battle Wing!

I have Battle Wings, and as far as I can see, they will be lucky to last 10k miles.........There's no way a Battle Wing will last 23k miles.....just sayin'!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I do everything by the odometer because my employer use to pay me for miles driven. I ride year round 5 days a week (6 if I work Saturdays) regardless of the temp or weather conditions. Yes I ride in freezing sleeting rain. Counting the original tires I am on my third set. I switched out the original at ~10,500 (I could be off my a couple hundred) miles because of cupping caused by those stupid (stupid to me) Dyna Beads.

They were still very good tires except for the gigantic cup in the front tire. I had planned to take the original tires to 15-18 thousands miles. I ALWAYS change front and back together regardless of the condition of the favorable tire. My fronts always go out first. Always...on every motorcycle I've ever owned.

Just rechecked my odometer. 33,944.5 miles. Subtract the 201.5 miles I put on since Saturday that leaves 33,743 miles when the new set of Battle Wings were added.

10,500 miles (give or take a few miles-I could be off my a couple hundred miles.) from 33,743 = 23,243 miles roughly on the second set of tires.

Again...I don't mean any personal bearing by it...but the sole purpose of the thread was to determine what is the expected life span of Battle Wing tires. This was not intended to be a bragging rights thread...cause I really don't give a [email protected] about things like that. I'm very cheap and I like to use items that last a very long time. In fact I'm so cheap I plug my flats, buy the cheapest gas possible, do all my own work (except for wheel balancing and Valve work). If I don't know how to do it, I just bruise my girly small knuckles learning how. In fact I'm so cheap I have no tools except for what came with my Wee....and I use them around the house too.

Edit: Note; Just occurred to me that based of information I remembered from a car forum concerning tires. Is it possible that because of the extreme cold weather conditions that I take the Wee through that the tire compound could have just harden over time? Maybe I’ve been riding on harden pieces of rubber and not tires. Not good. Well then again...another reason for the thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Freezing?

4:20 pm. Current temp in Corona is a brisk 76 degrees. Chilly. I don't live far from you and am curious where you are riding in SoCal that is freezing?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I was referring to the winter months.

Where ya at. I'm near Temescal Canyon at about 1200FT elevation. Love it here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts