StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 650 in April and am getting used to it now but had a bit of a pulse quickening a few weeks ago. Took a ride to the NJ shore and while going across an arched bridge over an ocean inlet the little DL650 felt like the front end wanted to lift off. There was a strong wind coming across the bridge surface, at the top, which made the bike feel like the front wheel was just skimming the road surface. Anyone else get a pucker from a strong cross wind on the Strom? :?

·
I rock at logic
370 Posts
I haven't been in anything too bad. My wife and I were on the bike while heading through a wide open area with 40 mph crosswinds. The bike wandered towards the center line a couple of times, but I never
felt out of control. Our heads were bouncing around like bobble-head dolls though. :)

Your situation sounds much more scary.

·
Registered
73 Posts
originally posted by vancer

Bought my 650 in April and am getting used to it now but had a bit of a pulse quickening a few weeks ago. Took a ride to the NJ shore and while going across an arched bridge over an ocean inlet the little DL650 felt like the front end wanted to lift off. There was a strong wind coming across the bridge surface, at the top, which made the bike feel like the front wheel was just skimming the road surface. Anyone else get a pucker from a strong cross wind on the Strom? Confused
Have you done the "raise the forks in the triple clamp" mod? If not, I would highly recomend it, as do most folks on this board. I did this mod before ever riding the bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drummer said:
originally posted by vancer
a pucker from a strong cross wind on the Strom? Confused
Have you done the "raise the forks in the triple clamp" mod? If not, I would highly recomend it, as do most folks on this board. I did this mod before ever riding the bike.[/quote]
=====
Yes, Raised them along with lowering links out back. I suppose, being a bridge, the wind (Ocean City, NJ) came at an angle.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
That alwqys happened to me on my KLR650, especially on the bridges. I would usually tuck in tight and learn forward with my head down. That really helped.
So far, on the wee, I have never felt like that but I do weigh 265lbs.

·
Registered
852 Posts
In Florida, when the afternoon thunderstroms are building, there are some really strong microbursts around the area.

Just the other night, I was headed home and was getting blown with a very strong crosswind that was coming in gusts. I just leaned into the wind to keep my heading, bike was quite stable.

I have added the K-B Fork Brace to my DL1000K6.

M

·
0 Posts
I had something like that happen last week - strong crosswind, leaning into it a bit, then got passed by a semi doing way over the limit - I felt like I was a cookie sheet someone had flexed back and forth - wappa wappa wappa wappa.... Really weird feeling.

I'll have to do that fork raising thing. About how far in the braces do you raise them up?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Stock windshield and stock suspension set up they suck in high winds or cross winds. Around 18 wheelers they are down right dangerious. A better windshield tilted back and removing the hand guards makes the bike much more injoyable to ride.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Just curious, of those of you reporting this instability who is running the stock tires?

Stromette

1 - 10 of 10 Posts