StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

I know this is a far stretch off topic , but after incedents like this one . I just feel compelled to put a word on the wire for folks to to use caution in your daily routines . Life is all to short to not take a breath and appreciate life as it is .

Ok , I'll do something unusaul here and be quick about this . I just want folks to consider how day to day things can clain ones life suddenly . I'll also add that I am all to fortunate to still be alive at this moment .

In the winter months , my business slows to a crawl so I use my class A Hazmat lisence to earn a few bux by driving a propane truck . Today on my route , a bridge in Lake Toxaway caved in as I was crossing it . The bridge first started crumbling on the right side of the truck which rolled the truck ( along with me in it ) into the river . If you haven't noticed , it's raining somethign serious and the river was raging quite nicely . To my good fortune and some very quick thinking . I did get out without to much physical harm to me . I did however go get cleared at the hospital for serious injuries but will be very sore as a reminder of how close of a call it was .

Again , off topic yes . But allot of folks read this board and I hope it was ok to use it as a reminder of just how quick we can leave this old world . I have to say ... this was my 1st experience of rolloing a 36,000 gvw vehicle with 3,000 gallons of explosive in a river and can only hope it will be the last . You might be able to catch the quick and dirty on WLOS News 13 tonight .

PO

P.S. I personally don't have photos but I know my boss did along with NCHAZMAT and several other folks . If and when I can acquire a few , I'll post a few up if you guys don't mind .

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Wes,

Glad you didn't turn into a fireball floating down the swollen creek. Where exactly was it? I know there have been a few bridges in my neighborhood which were replaced the last year or so. Right before the mulch yard opened up with its menacing trucks.

What is the nature of your non-injury?

Again, glad to still have you around.
Have one or more of your usual libation and take a a deep breath.

I'll watch the news.

Norm

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow, sure glad you were able to hang around and write about it! I know the feeling about we could go at any time, I was deathly ill a few years ago and honestly didn't think I would pull through. If it wasn't for my wife I would be dead, but she wouldn't let me give up and held me up to pour fluids down me when I was too weak. We need to be thankful each and every day.

And exactly where was that bridge, I like to ride up that way a lot. Oh, and a lot of my close friends know how much I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE, bridges.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
All I could find ..

Was this on the site : No major damage reported as storms cross NC...
But glad that your mostly all right ...Heal fast and hope you have a great holliday.:mrgreen:
Oh, and the Bush Library bought back its Domain name:p

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, gives a whole new meaning to "driving a bomb"! Seriously, glad you are still with us.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I can say is WOW...!

Glad you made it OK!

So, how do they get a fully loaded propane truck out of a river?

With a crane . The risk of rupturing the plumbing around the rear and under belly is WAY WAY WAY to risky by dragging it up the bank . If a pipe broke and it drug on a rock .... well , you get the picture . It would have blown us all to smitherines with ease . Just hook a monster crane to it and lift . Just glad I didn't have to pay that wrecker bill . LOL . It's a wonder it didn't leak and blow that end of the county to Mexico .

PO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad you're ok. I once saw an accident site where a trackhoe operator who was dismantling a bridge rode it off the edge and into Tuckertown Reservoir. He wasn't so lucky. I think the resulting heart attack is what killed him.

Do any damage to the seat on the ride down? I would have had a serious pucker-factor going on there!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wes, pleased to hear you are OK. That would be far too much excitement for an old guy like me. So what did you injure? Did a pretty nurse take care of you? Details when you are up to it ,please. Hope you are feeling well soon.

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
A few weeks ago an hour from coming back from the doctors office after receiving the dreaded C diagnosis I decided to take the dog for a walk to chill out and relax. I decided to walk to the bridge construction site on our island and watch the progress.

As I watched, a 220' 125 ton beam of concrete came crashing down from it's supports a hundred or so feet off the ground....three of the workers were tied off to that beam (it was one that was already in place) killing one immediatley.

Appreciate every day in your life, don't waste it.

rjsurfer

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike thanks for the concerns . I really just pulled my back and shoulders pretty good . My right leg has a nice bloddy crease in it from where it slammed the meter in the truck .

In the photos you can see the result of quick thinking on my part . When I felt the bridge shift , I hammered the throttle wich resulted in the nose being far enough forward to keep me outta the water . And most likely drowing . The seat belt had me tied down pretty good at first .

What you cannot see in the photos are the huge stringer log that was pushed up through the passenger window .

PO

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks like the bridge was due for replacement with a more modern design. Was the collaspe because the truck was overweight or just the bridge had deteriated to the point of not being able to hold what it was designed for? Or did the rushing water damage the supports?

Glad you are okay and didn't end up swimming.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well , I can tell you that the driver ( which was me of course ) is over weight . The truck is what it is . The bridge was old and deteriorated and with all the heavy rains this week ...... well ..... you see the result .

PO

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That could have been a lot worse!!!!

Glad you made out of there without any real injuries.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T3/T4 ,

You are all so right . It could have been rough . There were allot of varibales without question . After looking extensively at the scene and the images , we have all determined that the one varibale in this case that had the opportunity for the best outcome , was the SINGLE variable that did take place . Amazing for sure .

PO

p.s. Here is photo of one of my old work trucks from right about this time last year . Accident investigators say that the little red car that got t-boned by the big mean dump truck , flew 108 feet in the air before coming down and doing in " The Old Grey Mare " .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
PO, run with the good luck part... Don't play to much with the what ifs. It will get to you.

In late May I had an older guy go through a traffic light and hit the back of my work car. He spun me around in a couple 360s and it finally crashed into another stopped car sitting at the light. If it would have been a split second faster he would have hit my passenger area. A split second the other way he would have missed me. It's just the way things happen.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
HFS!!!!!

That's at lot worse than what I pictured in my mind.
I presume that it was not a state-maintained bridge wth the fallen trees offering the primary support..
You could been killed, or worse.

Norm

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the well wishes guys . I pretty much only ended up with some pretty good back and neck strains and a whopping bruise and creasing cut on my right leg . I was back in the saddle the next day at 8 a.m. Sore as all get out , but back at work .

Also , we had no citations from any of the descriminating authorities . No spillage , the truck was all legal , paperwork was to a T and I of course passed the drug and alcohol scrutinies . Flying colors is how we operate and it really paid off to be straight up in this case .

PO

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow! PO, that's just amazing. Sorry you went through that, but it's a heckuva story! Really glad you got out with so little bodily injury.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts