StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to wondering the other day if the snorkel on the airbox was restrictive.

Not one to leave well enough alone I removed it. Wow, more torque at high rpm's! I don't much care for all the intake noise however. I'll bet some here would much enjoy it though.

I'm also concerned for the big hole now in the airbox that could seemingly take in excessive water in a heavy rain.

If I leave it this way me thinks I need to create a deflector to help keep water from being sucked in.
 

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
Joined
·
38,048 Posts
Be aware the butt dyno is very prone to measurement error, especially if the ears are involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
2500 miles with 0 problems without the snorkle in. Doesn't bother me with the sound. And I've been in some bad downpours!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I'm running a much larger SV1000 snorkel on my SV650. I've not investigated the Vstroms snorkel, but I do know on my naked SV. If I left the snorkel off I'd be sucking in rain and more bugs with a ram air effect.
This may or may not be a problem on the Vstroms.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A1A said:
I'm running a much larger SV1000 snorkel on my SV650. I've not investigated the Vstroms snorkel, but I do know on my naked SV. If I left the snorkel off I'd be sucking in rain and more bugs with a ram air effect.
This may or may not be a problem on the Vstroms.

Cheers!
The 650's snorkle is very restrictive which prompted me to pull it. I would like to find a snorkle to adapt that's not so restrictive.

The layout of the airbox is conducive to pulling in lots of debris.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Maybe the DL 1000 snorkel will fit the DL 650 air box. I would definitely not run without a snorkel though. Maybe you could be the pioneer in the quest to research and determine if the DL 1000 snorkel will fit the DL 650 air box.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I love the induction roar of the GS500 (it the loaner at the bike shop I use). And after hearing how removing the snorkle give the wee the same effect I am considering doing it.

Now, this is a stupid question but I just want to be sure before I mess with it.... The part circled in red in the below pic is the snorkle you guys are talking about right ?

Also has anyone heard reports of problems caused by removing the snorkle...



Sorry about the large pic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
what if you drilled some holes in the snorkel, but retained the downward-pointing piece (assuming designed such a way because air can be sucked upwards, but rain/water is less likely to flow into the intake)? I realize it wouldn't be foolproof, but it could open it up a bit, yeah?

Thoughts (before I go do it...)?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,795 Posts
Atomic Spew said:
what if you drilled some holes in the snorkel, but retained the downward-pointing piece (assuming designed such a way because air can be sucked upwards, but rain/water is less likely to flow into the intake)? I realize it wouldn't be foolproof, but it could open it up a bit, yeah?

Thoughts (before I go do it...)?
Why would you guys want to introduce MORE AIR into an FI system, that is already too lean to begin with? I wouldn't fool with it, unless you remap the ECM, or install a PCIII or DFO. Just my opinion though. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big B said:
Why would you guys want to introduce MORE AIR into an FI system, that is already too lean to begin with? I wouldn't fool with it, unless you remap the ECM, or install a PCIII or DFO. Just my opinion though. :wink:
you're point is well noted. i'd already decided i'd reinstall the snorkel because the only change i've noticed is that the bike is noisier - which i can live w/out.

before i do that, i'll glance at the plugs to see if it indeed is running learner. before the snorkel was removed a while back, the plugs had a nice tan color......we'll soon see if there's a difference.

thanks for mentioning the lean possibility Big B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I don't believe it would be a problem, unless you changed to a less restrictive air cleaner. For sure you would have to remap the FI in that situation.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in the big scheme of things, i don't think it matters. the difference would be like that felt with a change it altitude i would guess.

i reinstalled my snorkel. to be honest, it seems to run better with it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top