StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just about time for a once over on the wee (~500) miles. I decided to gear up and ride to work on this chilly (29 degrees) morning. It's all backroads, so it's all good.

About 5 minutes from my destination, I find I have no front brakes. I pull over immediately (luckily, I was able to) and notice the right front caliper HANGING by the hose. No mounting bolts whatsoever.

Check those bolts...and all other critical ones. You never know what was not tightened properly. The caliper had bounced off of the wheel and tire a couple of times. It relocated the wheel weight on that side. Imagine if that sucker had found its way into the wheel spoke while I was moving?

Can someone shoot me a photo of the caliper mounting on that side? I want to make sure I didn't lose any additional hardware or bracketage along with the cap screws. You can email to sciroccos at earthlink dot net. Much appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
360 Posts
Checking critical fasteners should be done more regularly than the maintenance schedule calls for. If you don't have a torque wrench handy, use fingers. If anything moves, there's a problem.

Glad you recovered before you really needed the brakes or the caliper got caught in the wheel. I was riding in a group last year and the guy in front of me had something hanging off of his swingarm. I thought he had picked up a clump of hay, or something. I got closer and realized that it was his rear brake caliper. I kept getting close to try and get his attention but I didn't want to get too close in case that sucker flew off and hit me. It was a tense couple of minutes, for sure.

P.S. IIRC, the left and right calipers are identical so just check the other side to see what should be where.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
These kinds of stories are EXACTLY why Stromette's riding partner safety wires all critical bolts whether or not the bike ever sees the track! (RT, you rock!)

Jim, do you still need a pic?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Id be telling Suzuki about this,someone is asleep on the job, How did you go prissing the discpads back apart? Ive heard they clamp up pretty tight

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to give the bike a once over this weekend....never thought I should check fasteners right after the bike was delivered to me. I do now.

STROMETTE said:
Jim, do you still need a pic?
Well, if you/someone could confirm that there isn't anything (such as a plate) between the right side caliper bolts and the caliper itself, that would be appreciated!

Aussie Stromer 1039 said:
Id be telling Suzuki about this,someone is asleep on the job, How did you go prissing the discpads back apart? Ive heard they clamp up pretty tight
Yeah, but I think it was the dealer....I think perhaps the calipers get bolted on when the bike is uncrated...not sure. If someone knows, I'd be happy to learn, as I already let the dealer know and they're good folks, so I don't want to bring it up to Suzuki unless it's their fault.

The pistons compressed pretty easily, actually. No problem putting it back on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Someone had a picture of a Strom in the crate on advrider and the calipers appear to be bolted on. The dealer may have removed the calipers to install the wheel, though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Two cents from a retired Air Force crew chief:

It's entirely possible a fastener can be too loose to turn by hand but in the process of getting looser and getting ready to eject from your bike.

Buy a torque wrench. A good one. Learn how to use it properly and how to care for it. It could save your life.

If you intend to turn wrenches on your motorcycle or if you do not completely trust the person who does it for you... You need a good torque wrench (or two) without exception. Anybody who thinks they have a "calibrated elbow" is not to be trusted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is certainly a major screw up at the factory or during setup. I've been riding and wrenching for 35 years and have yet to have a properly torqued caliper bolt loosen.

- Mark

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just removed my front wheel to reverse it (it was on backwards from the dealer!) and when I removed the calipers I didn't notice anything between the caliper and mounts on the forks. Just bolt the thing back on, and use a torque wrench. And like MWValley said, learn to use it. I've never owned a "good" torque wrench until now and you have to losen and then tighten a knob before and after adjusting the torque in order for it to work correctly. Read the instructions, it's pretty easy but you won't know the procedure if you don't read the instructions (like I didn't do at first). :p

When I first got my bike I checked every single bolt/nut I could see on the bike shortly after my first ride. I never trust the dealer or previous owner to do it right. :) No offense, but it's just something I like to check myself.

The only bolts I haven't been able to check and tighen down are the rear exhuast bolts! How do you get to them!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts