StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am strongly considering purchasing a new Wee, but might do it at a dealership as far as 300 miles from my home.

My plan would be to get a ride out there, perhaps from a friend, bringing riding gear with me, then to ride the bike back home.

What is the max. speed I'm allowed to do on the bike during the first phase of the breakin period? If it is some really low number (like 65 MPH), I might look for another way to buy.

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
If you break it in by the book, it says 5000rpm max. In reality, the engine is rung out pretty well on a dyno before the bike is released. I wouldn't have any hesitation running 6000rpm, but that's me, not the manual. 6000rpm is an indicated 82 but a real 75mph. What would bother me is a steady speed. I'd do regular highways rather than the Interstate to vary speeds a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using the very complex method of fractions, I'm getting 5/6 * 75 = 62.5 MPH actual.

I've always been skeptical of the lore about breaking in rings. Seems that if varying the RPM was important, the manufacturer would say it in the owner's manual.

I've broken in two bikes just by riding like an old lady, and they are fine.

But then again, I ride like an old lady normally, anyway.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
if it was me

i would ride about 40 miles on side roads before hitting the freeway , up and down a few hills if posible . in 1982 i bought a new yamaha xt550 enduro and rode it right out of the shop to orogon on the I5 with a buddy on his honda cbx 1000 6 cylnder . i was at 500 rpm below red line for two days

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
I've always been skeptical of the lore about breaking in rings. Seems that if varying the RPM was important, the manufacturer would say it in the owner's manual.
You must have a different manual or skipped over the break-in section. mine says it on page 4.2, right below the max rpm suggestions.

the english manual is in the bike, but i have the french version here, and it clearly says:
"Faire varier le regime du moteur et ne pas le maintenir a un niveau constant"
loosly translated, it means " vary the engine speed, and do not keep it constant"

that's to allow parts to heat up and cool down.

to seat the rings properly, you need pressure on them (from both sides) which means accelerating (without exceeding the recommended rpm) and doing engine braking.

dtashley: if i were you, i'd try to take backroads home rather than superslab, to make sure you can vary the rpm. if you really can't do that, then take a break after 15 minutes, and let the engine completely cool down before proceeding. take another break after 30 minutes, and let it cool down completely again. remember to vary your speed a lot, and to use engine braking, and accelerate hardish (you want a load on the engine at all times, but no WOT acceleration or abrupt yanking of anything).

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I can't think of anything more boring for a first ride on a new bike than 300 miles on the highway trying to keep it under the break-in RPM limit and trying to make sure I vary the RPMs enough. That's why I spent the extra $$ and bought from a local dealer. Spent most of the break-in on hilly 2 lane roads.

Just find some back roads to ride and intermingle those with the interstate. Your butt won't be able to take 300 miles straight either.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
How many of you break in a car engine, lawn mower, tractor, chain saw, roto tiller.....etc when you buy it? Just ride it home and don't worry about, what isn't worth worrying about. People treat motorcycles "for some reason" like they are fragile and almost human, they are allot tougher than they get credit for.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Hey guys, look at it this way, who here is going to live long enough to wear out their VStrom? Not me!

Who here is going to wear out their VStrom and then buy a new one or something else 10 or more years from now?

Or finally, who here is likely to get a different bike next year just because they got the VStrom fully farkled and it's time for something else? Huh huh, who's like that, huh?
:D

Anyway you look at it, break in schmake in, let her rip asap, seat those rings baby and she'll love you for it.

Motoman is right, the makers don't want you to crash getting used to a different bike, they're thinking about the worst case, lawyers etc, break it in like they say and you can slowly get used to the VStrom in every way, then you're much less likely to crash and sue Suzuki's arse.

So, take it easy but let her rip in your own time. Ride your own ride, have fun. I broke mine in Motoman style, my engine is perfect in every way.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
How many of you break in a car engine,
Me for one. I have never had problems with new engines/vehicles I have broken in myself. For example my '89 Nissan Pathfinder had 410,000Km (250,000 or so miles) when I sold it. It only needed oil added when it was time to change it. YMMV

Although normal riding is probably all that is really needed to seat things properly, everyone's notion of normal can be quite different.
I doubt that I would do a break-in ride on a highway that I could not vary my speed significantly though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
To each their own... FWIW, my own report of the 450+ mile break-in for my DL1k is: HERE

AGirl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts