StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Break Away cruise control yesterday. The directions seemed complicated but, used the 10 minute video to install that was easy to follow. I did not have to make any adjustments when completed. Went for a 200 mile ride after and it worked great. Easy to adjust throttle when locked to tweak the speed. It is a great addition.

·
Registered
448 Posts
who manufacturer ls it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I don't know where J Strom 2019 went, maybe broke away to go cruisin'! I live in the same region and there is the annual 40,000-strong Flood Run along the Mississippi River from Prescott, WI (starts 950 ft from my townhome) to Winona MN along both sides of the river. About 180 miles down & back if you do the whole run
Anyway, I found BreakAway's website. they have models for just about all popular bikes including both the DL 650 & DL 1000:
https://brakeawayproducts.com

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
Boy, it better be a worker. I have the Go Cruise and a crampbuster on my bikes.
I can afford to go to a couple rallies with the money i saved and have a mahvelous time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered it from Amazon. The company is break away products.
It cost more then most. It has a dual release, easy to set and adjust as needed. Good quality machines aluminum.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
J Strom ....the company is BrakeAway

https://brakeawayproducts.com

GoCruise 2 easier cheaper and I found the BrakeAway slips depending on the temperature

·
Registered
74 Posts
Installed the Break Away cruise control yesterday. The directions seemed complicated but, used the 10 minute video to install that was easy to follow. I did not have to make any adjustments when completed. Went for a 200 mile ride after and it worked great. Easy to adjust throttle when locked to tweak the speed. It is a great addition.
Does the brake handle seem awkward since it has to be moved to the left?
Do you miss the space on the grip the cruise control takes up?

Looks like a quality product

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the brake handle seem awkward since it has to be moved to the left?
Do you miss the space on the grip the cruise control takes up?

Looks like a quality product
The brake lever is moved over a unnoticeable amount (maybe 1/8").
The cruise takes up 1/2" on throttle. Looks like it belongs there. Does not get in way.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
They are slick ...looks OEM ...just bit not like the issues with temperature.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the directions it shows a tension screw to be tightened if you have any slippage. With wear I assume that needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
It slips with temperature changes. Can be too tight at the beginning of the day then snaps off without warning which can be startling on bikes with strong return springs and engine braking as the day heats up.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
I owned one for a couple of years and finally sold it with a bike. Got too frustrating. I tell you blitzing along at 80+ you don't want an instant throttle close.

The friction units like Kaoka ( had one ) and the GoCruise2 simply work and the latter is cheap.

There is one other that I liked best of all but was the most fiddly thing evah to get set up. My 2010 came with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for input. Where you driving one handed when it happened? The directions state to have both hands on. I will let you know if it happens to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the company before I purchased. He stated they have made improvements over the years. Yours being 9 years old might have been a old model.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
doubt it was 9 years ago but certainly 6-7 ...not sure what improvement they could make to lessen the temperature sensitivity.
Actually it was 10 years ago :surprise:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed an NEP CRUISE CC4-SUZUKI that I ordered from Amazon. Works perfectly and I have it on all three of my DL1000s and my son put one on his 2019 650XT. Here is how it goes if anyone is interested.

Before you begin, you will have to roll the end of the rubber grip away from the ridge of the throttle sleeve and trim two little plastic nubs off of that ridge. You may also have to trim a couple of nubs off the inside of the rubber grip. Then the throttle lock will drop right into place.

On the opposite end of the lock, you will see a small piece of wood under the brace that you would normally screw into the throttle housing. It is a spacer I cut from a paint stirring stick (.21” thick) and super glued to the underside of the brace. To that I attached a piece of “hook” Velcro. Make the spacer just long and wide enough for the glue on the Velcro to get a good grip. The “loop” Velcro I stuck right to the throttle cable housing. Because it is not very wide where it attaches, I cut the piece extra wide and rolled it over and stuck it to the back side of the housing to give it extra grip to hold.

I used a magic marker to color the spacer black to match everything else. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts