StromTrooper banner

Brand New Stromtrooper!

739 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Jstrom
I am the elated owner of a new (to me) 2003 DL1000. (That's what you people would call a K3, right?)

Couldn't be happier. I have been ride-less since my 1983 GS750T crossed the "one strike you're out" line by not starting on a Monday morning. Now I look forward to fuel-injected bliss.

As someone who has been described as "a fellow who looks like his toolbox is his wallet" (hey, some of us are born with naturally soft hands, ok?), I will be relying on the community here for info and tips on keeping my beautiful new (to me) bike happy and on the road.

Onward!

Doug Harris

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
Welcome aboard Doug!

If you haven't already you might want to post in the Canadian section as we have a good group of riders around the GTA.

..Tom

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Welcome to Stromtrooper.com. If you are interested in learning how to do things to your bike you have come to the right place. Just remember, until we started working on bikes (our own or on friends or both) none of us knew what we were doing. I have been working on my own bikes for years and still don't know what I am doing at times but it is a lot of fun anyhow.

Take the time to hunt up BlackLabs posts. He has done amazing things to his Strom. Some of them are even conventional. When he doesn't know how to do something, he fakes it sometimes and the results make me stare at the screen in amazement. He is pretty cool and I love his bike, it is like no other.

Greywolf is our resident expert up here. When he tells you something, you can take it to the bank.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brand New Stromtrooper - First Thoughts

Picked up my K3 yesterday from a very nice guy in Waterloo and rode it home (about 120 km). I love the riding position - great visibility on the highway.

It sure will take some getting used to after my other bikes, though, as I now understand what I was only reading about previously: chudder, gear whine (especially in 6th), and clunk (of the transmission and front-end variety).

I think some of what I'm experiencing when changing gears will be addressed by checking the chain tension, greasing the gear shifter linkage and an oil change (as recommended here: Clean out the countershaft housing (DL650)). But that engine sound is going to take some time to learn to love, at least on Day 2.

But, on the plus side, when I was out for a late-night ride, I came upon a drinking-and-driving checkpoint exiting the DVP. The officer flagged me down, shone his light on my bike and said "a V-Strom - nice choice", and then said "No booze, right?" before waving me through. :hurray:

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Welcome aboard, Doug.

Right, in Suzukispeak "K" = the first decade of the 21st century, therefore K3 = 2003. And in strommerspeak, a "Vee" is the 1000 while the "Wee" is the 650.

· Premium Member
5,003 Posts
You'll love it.

The yellow ones are the best though...

Welcome aboard the zoo ship.

· Registered
984 Posts
Yep

I've decided my Strom will be the last bike I own. Although I might get a scooter for my 32 mile round trip commute to work and for doing errends around town. When it wears out I'll rebuild it and keep on truckin'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.