StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. new here. I am crap with spanners and have next to no useable mechanical skills. I do love to ride my VStrom though. I have a 09 DL1000 and it now has 75k on the clock. recently it was lagging and struggling to make highway speed and couldn't overtake. I took it to the shop and they said fuel filter and/or regulator was shagged. (i have read here and elsewhere that others have had the same issue.) I didn't get the whining with it. I do now!.

The shop sourced a Quantum EFI fuel pump and reg and stung me $450 for the pleasure, and I see that an original can cost up to $1k.

My issue is that the fuel pump is now screaming and I am wondering if this is normal? or is it damaging itself and I will be broken down and up for a new one again soon?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bender -- any idea what the condition of the inside of the tank was like when the shop put in the new pump? Rusty? Did you get to see the original pump and screen that the shop removed? From your brief description, it sounds like the high pressure side could have been blocked (mine was at 3x,xxx miles) and the inside of my tank was spotless!! Perhaps, have a fuel flow test done now to see what the new pump is putting out -- maybe sediment has already impacted it.

The good thing is that the Quantum has a lifetime guarantee. Their website states "Quantum replacement fuel pumps, modules, assemblies, and kit components are designed to meet or exceed OEM specifications, and feature upgrades that improve on the OEM design. Upgraded polymers, brushes, and commutators ensure long life and durability in multiple fuel blends. Each Quantum fuel pump and installation kit is backed by a lifetime free replacement warranty. If there is any issue of any kind at any time, give us a call or email us and we will replace the pump free of charge." You may have to pay the shop's labor rate for a new install if you need a new one, but the pump itself should be a warranty replacement.

How is the bike running now with the whine vs when the new pump was first installed and there was no whine? Any reduction in performance? Has the bike reverted to your mentioned issues at highway speed? Or does it just seem to be whining while performing as it should? Is the whine consistent -- volume, pitch? Or does it change based on RPM and the load/pull on the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer the questions as best I can.
I have no idea what the inside of the tank is like and I didn't get to look at anything before or after sadly.. I used to be an all-weather rider and it was my daily commute so it got lots of fuel put through it. I have read somewhere that letting it run to nearly empty can bring on my original issues. The last 2 years it hasn't been ridden much so there may have been some rust in there.

Thanks for the tip about the guarantee. I'll be pointing that out to the shop.

As for how the bike is running, well pretty good. It is back to the bike of old. pull on the throttle and it pulls like a 15yo reading playboy! The whine comes on at key turn and varies slightly. I am not sure about load etc, and it's a bit late at night to go test it and upset my neighbors!!!! The bike has always whined since the new pump was put in....a thought just came to me that they have put two in while it was in the shop due to the first one whining and that i think was a different brand to this one........but it has whined since I picked it up (today)

I'm thinking that it will be headed back for them to fix. I may need all your sage advice to tell them how sadly!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome Bender. Every time you turn on your ignition the gauge needles do a sweep and the fuel pump turns on for a few seconds. During this time it does whine quite loudly. It is building fuel pressure in the system. This is normal. I have not heard mine whine loudly like that at all while the engine is running, but I suppose it must. Maybe it is drowned out by the running noises of the bike - exhaust and cam gear whine.

So, is yours really loud all the time? Can you compare it to the ignition on whine of the original fuel pump?

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't do any of the mechanical work, I left that to the shop guys as I am not at all handy with that sort of stuff. I ran it just now and the pump makes the normal noise (if not a bit weird, but that could be the different pump) on key turn. As soon as the motor is kicked into gear she screams. This pitch doesn't change under load. I am taking it back and going to suggest they work it out and give them some pointers!!! Thank you all for your help. I feel comfortable now that this shouldn't be happening and will get it rectified. Who knows, one day I will learn to fix this stuff myself!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Perhaps try to meet up with some V-Strom riders in your area, then try to learn some mechanical work from them. We all had to learn some where. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are many knowledgeable members on this site. Ride safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts