StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy A 2018 Vstrom 1000 XT and m window shopping the local dealerships and web site.
MSRP is some thing like 13-14k ,but Suzuki has a 1k rebate.
I have seen some members posted the price of under 10000 OTD ,
I can not find any dealership in California even close to this price,do you know if new 2018 emission is different for California than other states?
I may end up buying from other state and with shipment price it might be even less expensive for me than buying locally.
after buying and license plating in California ,I will highly upgrade it to a fully Adventurer bike using sturdy products from ALT rider and S-W Motech , that is why I prefer to find on deal.
Do you know any dealership with good offers?
I want to know your advise.
Appreciated :smile2:
Thank you:smile2:
Ride safe/ride long:smile2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think out the door price has two meanings. To me out the door includes sales tax but since tax rates vary and Oregon has none at all, out the door has no meaning. I have seen some people interpret out the door to mean everything EXCEPT sales tax. While that makes for a better comparison, is really isn't out the door.

If folks want to talk price they need to show the following items:

MSRP; and from this subtract,

Selling dealer's discount; and from this subtract

Suzuki's rebate, and to this add

Any fees other than sales tax.

Then the price you are left with can be compared to what others are paying.

Right now in Washington State here is one deal I have found so far:

2018 VStrom 1000XT

MSRP $13,299

Dealer Discount $300

Suzuki Rebate $1,000

Asking Price $11,999

Fees are not disclosed on their website but the last time I bought a bike they were $600 for a new VStrom 650. If I were to make an offer on this bike I'd ask them to waive the fees and I would make the purchase. So that would be a $300 discount and no additional fees.

NC

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sport Cycles in Rockingham, NC last week: $9998 OTD. Since I was out of State, OTD did not include tax or tags. And I had to get the bike from them to me. Still, pretty good, I thought.

Dunno if that deal is still available since March incentives are about to expire.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
I took a look at the emission label on my MN (49 state?) 2018 1000 XT. No mention of anything California on the emissions tag. I have a hunch the CA bikes are different emissions equipment.

As to price paid, that's going to vary. Factors such as factory rebates, does the dealer need to make some sales of anything, does the dealer have too many of a certain model in stock, slow time of the year or not, and so on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think out the door price has two meanings. To me out the door includes sales tax but since tax rates vary and Oregon has none at all, out the door has no meaning. I have seen some people interpret out the door to mean everything EXCEPT sales tax. While that makes for a better comparison, is really isn't out the door.

If folks want to talk price they need to show the following items:

MSRP; and from this subtract,

Selling dealer's discount; and from this subtract

Suzuki's rebate, and to this add

Any fees other than sales tax.

Then the price you are left with can be compared to what others are paying.

Right now in Washington State here is one deal I have found so far:

2018 VStrom 1000XT

MSRP $13,299

Dealer Discount $300

Suzuki Rebate $1,000

Asking Price $11,999

Fees are not disclosed on their website but the last time I bought a bike they were $600 for a new VStrom 650. If I were to make an offer on this bike I'd ask them to waive the fees and I would make the purchase. So that would be a $300 discount and no additional fees.

NC
Those added fees are something that in most states, if charged to one customer, must be charged to all customers. They will try to add that back in as fluff because of that. (like YOU pay for it, when it really could be them dropping their price)

There are dealers around the country advertising the ABS model at about 9600 and XT about 9900. (a little better than what I found when I bought mine) I'm sure they still make some money on the sales, but maybe it's bare-bones and they hope you're financing and buying a worthless and overpriced extended warranty, etc. I had some emails on their best out-the-door price if I were to show up and take one home. They included freight, prep, documentation fees, and whatever other fluff fees they can think to add on, plus Michigan sales tax at 6%. I offered my best one ($11,400) to a local dealer and was ready to write a check for that amount if they would match it. They did, no ups or extras, they worked backwards to get in their price, plus the added fees to get to my total.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From what I've noticed over the years is that dealer bike prices get higher the farther you move towards the west coast, and get cheaper the farther you move to the east coast.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Like I have said earlier, my black 1000XT was $10k, and $300 setup and fees.
It came from Heinen's in Osseo, MN
I could say a few negative things about Heinen's, but the price was low enough to let the other things slip. Except for one thing.
They couldn't install a Suzuki center stand properly. Honest.
One bolt on the R. Side is sticking out a little less than half way, and won't turn in any further.
After numerous emails with the Service Manager they concluded their tech says the bolt "got stuck" and he forgot to do anything about it.
However, to their credit, they did refund half their charge for installing that and other various farkles. He actually offered more, but I though half was fair. So that is all I'll say about them.

I have yet to fix this, but I will.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Prices can also differ depending on whether you have to finance and which option you choose. When I was shopping you couldn’t combine the Rebate at the time and 0% Suzuki Financing (Synchrony). Looking quickly at Suzuki’s site you can get $1k Customer Cash OR 1.99% APR. Irrelevant if paying cash or financing yourself but it effected my decision to get a ‘15 over a ‘14 as it turned out to be a $700 difference not the $1700 I expected when seeing advertised prices.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Prices can also differ depending on whether you have to finance and which option you choose. When I was shopping you couldn’t combine the Rebate at the time and 0% Suzuki Financing (Synchrony). Looking quickly at Suzuki’s site you can get $1k Customer Cash OR 1.99% APR. Irrelevant if paying cash or financing yourself but it effected my decision to get a ‘15 over a ‘14 as it turned out to be a $700 difference not the $1700 I expected when seeing advertised prices.
I was lucky to have cash in the bank, but if I had to borrow, I would not finance thru the dealer. Contact your local bank or credit union first and get it thru them, then you should still be eligible to get the cash back applied. Interest rates are still very low and with good credit shouldn't be over 3% for a loan. Even better is a home equity line of credit. No pre-approval, just write a check.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I took a look at the emission label on my MN (49 state?) 2018 1000 XT. No mention of anything California on the emissions tag. I have a hunch the CA bikes are different emissions equipment...

There are 49 state bikes and California bikes.

The VIN statement specifically states that the bike is a California bike. Also there is a character in the VIN that denotes a California model.

OP: Do not buy a new 49 state bake and try to register it in California. Won't work DMV will refuse it.

There are a couple of ways to register a non-California bike:

1. If the bike has more than 7500 miles. Seems arbitrary but that's the number. Won't work with a new bike you buy out of state and ride around until you accumulate the miles though. The title has to have the mileage recorded.

2. You're on a trip out of state and you total your vehicle (or it gets stolen). You have to buy a vehicle to get home. That involves police and insurance reports.

You'll pay California's sales tax when you register it so you aren't saving that money.

The California DMV is inherently suspicious of any attempt to register a non-Cal vehicle. They will go so far as to blacklist the vehicle and it can never get registered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts