StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my brand new 2012 Suzuki DL1000 and took it out for the first ride. At low rpm's, the bike spits, sputters and coughs around 30-35mph. The bike stalled on me about 6 times when I came to a stop light. When riding at steady speeds the bike surges and sounds clunky. After 50 miles there was oil already leaking out of the cylinder heads ! The bike won't idle at a steady rpm; it fluctuates from 850-1250rpm. I called the dealer immediately and had them pick this up and I am NOT a happy camper. I understand there is a new ECM fix for the fuel mixture problems however leaking oil already ? Put about 75 miles on it and it's ready for the junkyard. It will be interesting to see what happens. I have owned at least 7 brand new Suzuki's in the past and never had an issue like this. Anyone else experience this ?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
that's crap. document everything. thankfully, ohio has likely the BEST lemon law in the country, so you should be ok.

do not rely on telephone conversations. try to communicate with the dealer via email if possible.

my brother (also from cleveland) has used a very good lemon law attorney there several times. i'll see if i can dig up his info for you.

·
Registered
817 Posts
mine was ok riding home but progressively got worse the more miles i put on it. i put a pcv on it and all was well. eventually someone posted about the ecm 'recall'. i called up dealer and they ordered me one plus a set of irridium plugs. i pulled the pcv before i took it into the dealer, it ran horribly and it was all i could do to get there without being run over by houston traffic. new ecm and plugs and all is well, with a mid 40 avg mph.

the dealer should have had that installed before he sold it to you, imo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2012 V-Strom Issue.

Well I called the manager of the dealer myself and chewed him a new a-hole. They picked up my bike within 2 hours and it's at the dealer now. My new ecm and plugs should be in Wednesday, however I am curious to find out what they say about the oil leaking from the cylinder heads, etc. Also, the exhaust pipe coming out of the cylinder head is not evenly torqued, it's flange and bracket is crooked. Honestly, it's sad that anyone would even have to install a Power Commander. It's great that is is available, but shouldn't it run perfect from the factory ? Even with all the emissions crap ? I told the dealer if this bike isn't running like a swiss clock when I pick it up, my first call will be to my attorney. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would demand another bike. I wouldn't be happy with that one at all.
+1 on that! You're paying the big bucks $$$ for a brand new bike you should have the previlage and the right of being picky and selective of what you get is perfectly tunning straight from the factory, not a fix-er-up junk that goes back to their shop to "cover up" what's apparent to be wrong on it now. Its not a used bike.
If thats what you've discouvered in the bike within 75mi ride, God knows what could possibly pop up later on from a bike expected to live well beyond 50k.
Just tell them i want a new (another) one or my money back!:furious:

·
Registered
817 Posts
+1 on that! You're paying the big bucks $$$ for a brand new bike you should have the previlage and the right of being picky and selective of what you get is perfectly tunning straight from the factory, not a fix-er-up junk that goes back to their shop to "cover up" what's apparent to be wrong on it now. Its not a used bike.
If thats what you've discouvered in the bike within 75mi ride, God knows what could possibly pop up later on from a bike expected to live well beyond 50k.
Just tell them i want a new (another) one or my money back!:furious:
yeah, if you still want to stick with a suzi, i'd bail on this bike and have them fish for another vstrom from another dealer-with ecm/plug install. sounds like whomever put that thing together...:thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Tuff call.
I'm not sure if I would want to take a chance considering the oil issue vs how new it is. You have a strong case for "Let's just do this over again but with a different DL1000".
The fueling is an easy fix and the bike should make you a very happy rider when it's corrected. For me it was a minor issue and now I'm enjoying the pleasure of ownership.
I'm a little confused as to where the oil is coming from. My guess is that it is leaking from the airbox down onto the heads? Could it be an accidental overfill issue that is causing all the trouble?
In the end it's your call. Keep us informed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New 2012 V-Strom 1000 fixed ! Update

Ok guys here is the update..

Picked up my bike yesterday from the dealer and I must say it runs FANTASTIC. They changed the ECM to the new version and swapped out the plugs for iridium.. now it runs perfectly and exactly as it should. In fact, because it's getting the right amount of fuel the bike accelerates even faster, smoother and almost feels like it's got an extra 10 horsepower. As far as the "oil" issue, the dealership found no oil leaks. What it turned out to be was some gasket sealer and anti-corrosive spray that Suzuki uses when the bikes are built, and since it was brand new, once the engine heated it just spattered some of the material around. So at this point I am in love with the new DL1000; I have owned around 10 bikes over the years and this is by far my favorite; seating position, power, very comfortable, and I love the suspension. All around an awesome bike; look forward to many miles now this summer :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Happy things worked out well for you!

·
Registered
817 Posts
:thumbup:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I love a happy ending, and good on the dealer and Suzuki for making things right.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I'm having a lot of problems here lately with surging at certain speeds. Bike just hit 5,000 miles. Could my problem be related to the ecm. I know my MPG is relly bad too. I'm getting like 190 miles to a full tank and that's pretty much all highway riding. Is there anyway to find out if my ecm is bad or if there is a recall on my bike in general.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok guys here is the update..

Picked up my bike yesterday from the dealer and I must say it runs FANTASTIC. They changed the ECM to the new version and swapped out the plugs for iridium.. now it runs perfectly and exactly as it should. In fact, because it's getting the right amount of fuel the bike accelerates even faster, smoother and almost feels like it's got an extra 10 horsepower. As far as the "oil" issue, the dealership found no oil leaks. What it turned out to be was some gasket sealer and anti-corrosive spray that Suzuki uses when the bikes are built, and since it was brand new, once the engine heated it just spattered some of the material around. So at this point I am in love with the new DL1000; I have owned around 10 bikes over the years and this is by far my favorite; seating position, power, very comfortable, and I love the suspension. All around an awesome bike; look forward to many miles now this summer :)
Awesome Suzuki will stand behind their bikes,I am happy this worked out for you.I've owned many bikes but these V Strom are a love for me they fit my ridding style and are a comfort on the long runs.I just wish Suzuki was not so proud of their oem parts :jawdrop: Have you ever shopped for them, two little wind shield grommets $10.00 bucks:thumbdown: a pair of plastic hand guards $150.00:thumbdown: and their plastic engine bash guard $275.00:jawdrop::furious: I went with sw motech steel bash guard and it covers the whole bottom the oil filter and exaust for $180.00:thumbup:
that beats that plastic anyday !

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm having a lot of problems here lately with surging at certain speeds. Bike just hit 5,000 miles. Could my problem be related to the ecm. I know my MPG is relly bad too. I'm getting like 190 miles to a full tank and that's pretty much all highway riding. Is there anyway to find out if my ecm is bad or if there is a recall on my bike in general.
KPARKFAN :You should be getting approx 250 miles to a tank of gas ,What type of air filter are you using ? you want a high flow type air filter ,I went with the K&N Lifetime air filter that you can wash them out and recharge with their recharge kit, did you use any fuel additive for cleaning out water deposits left behind by 10% ethanol in the Gasoline ? I used a lucus product to clean the fuel system also I installed two small K&N fuel filters in the gas lines to the throttle bodies and one larger fuel filter at the Gas tank.Also if you get the hotter plugs make sure you get 4 because each cylinder has two plugs for a more even burn. I went with the NGK plugs Iridium IX Spark Plug DPR8EIX @ $24.00 each these are almost $100.00 for 4 plugs. But they are well worth the money when you see that your mpg goes up and the throttle responce is awesome. With the Air Filter change and spark plug change and the Two Brothers exhaust my My DL 1000 gets 50-56 mpg at cruise speeds on the freeway at 70 to 75 mph.The only downer is the exhaust is very loud when you crack that throttle open.Sounds like my Harley 109 with the screaming eagle pipes.:yesnod:

·
Registered
325 Posts
"What it turned out to be was some gasket sealer and anti-corrosive spray that Suzuki uses when the bikes are built, and since it was brand new, once the engine heated it just spattered some of the material around."

Sorry, I don't believe that. The oil was from something else, and I would still demand a new bike--or a paid for extended warranty

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
"What it turned out to be was some gasket sealer and anti-corrosive spray that Suzuki uses when the bikes are built, and since it was brand new, once the engine heated it just spattered some of the material around."

Sorry, I don't believe that. The oil was from something else, and I would still demand a new bike--or a paid for extended warranty
Why couldn't it had been that? And time will tell soon enough whether he has an actual oil leak from somewhere, I am sure he will let us know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts