StromTrooper banner

Brakes: Dot 4 to Dot 5 Conversion

Tags
brakes dot 5
8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Gus-Strom 
#1 ·
Dot 4 is an alcohol based Fluid and as such absorbs water (rusts cylinders) and breaks down rubber seals. Dot 5 is Silicone based, does not absorb water and preserved seals. I put Dot 5 Brake fluid in two of my previous bikes. Once this was done, I never had to do any brake maintenance after that other than change the pads. The fluid stays clear. Forever!
To my total surprise, I did a search on this forum and could not find where anyone has mentioned doing this to their Strom. I have not done this to my K7, yet. Just haven't had the time since the Warranty expired. Just thought I would start some folks talking about this. Maybe someone has done this and there are some Gotcha's. Let's see?

#2 · (Edited)
I have have had this article bookmarked for some time in case I decide to go that way but I do tend to agree with the premise. A DOT5 conversion on a Strom would be a PITA and IMO unwarranted and unnecessary. Most of us don't ride the Stroms hard enough to get any benefit from high temperature braking improvements and most of us don't keep the bikes anywhere near long enough to be worried about brake line component failures caused by DOT4 fluid.

#3 ·
A better solution would be to ue the castrol dot 4 LMA. It's a synthetic Low Moisture Absorbent fluid. I've been using it for years on bike and cages in the northwet and my fluid stays good a long time.

#4 ·
Changed mine to DOT 4 synthetic. I just cant see heat being of sufficient concern to worry about moisture formation. A track bike yes, a Wee nope.

Just my .2

Cheers

#5 ·
"The article" is very thorough in a process to convert to DOT5! It infers that DOT5 is a PITA. I don't understand where that comes from. Once converted, there is NO maintenance, so what is it about DOT5 that is a PITA? The conversion process is not like what "the article" describes. Why flush the system with alcohol first and then tear it all apart to clean it? Skip the flushing step and just take it apart and clean it up with a brake cleaning fluid, use the same fluid to spray out the lines, let it dry. Reassemble using DOT5 as a lubricant, fill and bleed. Done.
My experience with mixing DOT3/4 with DOT5, is that it does get gummy. This only happened on my first conversion. Must have missed a spot. One caliper's was sticking. Popped the Caliper off and cleaned it up. Never touched the brakes again.
Maybe I keep my bikes too long!!
The point about commercial vehicles using DOT5 is a good one. Vehicles sitting idle!! Many Northern bound bikes could benefit from a conversion since they sit idle over the winter. The chance for condensation to form is very high since there are temperature extremes during the winter months. I would be concerned enough about it that if I did not convert it, I would at least blead the system each spring to freshen the fluid and get the condensation out.
Also, that article must be years old. DOT5 is not expensive. It used to be when it first came out.
Thanks for posting so far. Good points!!

#6 · (Edited)
There is no point in going through all that. Keep your system sealed and it can't absorb moisture (well, very small amounts maybe). Flush every few years (which takes about 20 minutes with a mighty vac) and you'll never have an issue with this.

I would never leave a fluid in there for the life of the bike no matter what it was so it's getting flushed every few years anyway.

#8 ·
dot 5

I once tried using dot 5 silicone fluid in my SCCA IT car years ago. It caused all kinds of problems that were solved only by replacing the master cylinder and replacing the fluid with dot 4. Some manufacturers brake internals are not compatible with silicone fluid. I found out the hard way and at great expense. I don't think I could ever go there again. YMMV

Hotshoetom

#9 ·
Don't do it. Works great for a while then it's time for all new seals. Depending on costs it might be cheaper to replace all the brake parts. Dot 5 won't screw up your paint but it will eventually screw up your wallet. The bike will stop better with dot 4. Dot 5 feels sponzy. Just my personal experience.You will meet people that will tell you it's great. There is a high seal failure rate ..FYI

Les

Les

#10 ·
Ooppss

Hi all,

I´ve just replaced my Wee break fluid with Motul DOT 5.1 (the guy in the bike shop told me that was better than DOT 4)...I didn´t use any break fluid cleaner or whatsoever, just drain the break fluid deposit of both front and rear, fill it with DOT 5.1, purge and that´s it.

I did a 60 mile trip and don´t feel "big" difference...just in front brake it feels like I need less pressure on assy break...

Should I go back to DOT 4?...should I need to clean the braking system before going back to DOT 4?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Gus-Strom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.