StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to better brakes? Would like to find cross references of other calipers that will fit... 2014 DL 1000abs..
Thanks...

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
You already have good calipers and system overall, upgrade the pads to EBC or Galfer HH and call it a day. You could perhaps go with a better master cylinder or braided steel lines, what exactly are you wanting to be "better"?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Writing a story of how EBC HH pads don't fit our rotors well. Have tested 5 brake pads so far this year. DP sintered so far the best. No other changes necessary. Our callipers are monoblokcs so they are fine. If you're really doing for more brakes. Braketech makes a 330-mm conversions for rotors that fit the 08-12 Hayabusa. Those are identical in spec — five hole mounting with a 121-mm centre —to what 14 to 20 DL1000s use. kit includes little spacer dowels to push the clappers 10-mm back to accommodate the 20-mm larger rotors. More leverage is more power. Swapping callipers on the other hand doesn't do much.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Writing a story of how EBC HH pads don't fit our rotors well. Have tested 5 brake pads so far this year. DP sintered so far the best. No other changes necessary. Our callipers are monoblokcs so they are fine. If you're really doing for more brakes. Braketech makes a 330-mm conversions for rotors that fit the 08-12 Hayabusa. Those are identical in spec — five hole mounting with a 121-mm centre —to what 14 to 20 DL1000s use. kit includes little spacer dowels to push the clappers 10-mm back to accommodate the 20-mm larger rotors. More leverage is more power. Swapping callipers on the other hand doesn't do much.
Please explain more about the EBC pads not fitting well because that has been my go-to for years on many bikes. Have you published results yet? Anxious to see what you have found!
Do you have a blog or website I can sign up for/support? Thanks!
Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
952 Posts
A lot of people have swapped sportbike "callipers" on to 'stroms. it gives a lot more braking power. I would not trust someone who does not know this.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A lot of people have swapped sportbike "callipers" on to 'stroms. it gives a lot more braking power. I would not trust someone who does not know this.
RL that's for early 1000's which had two-piston, split caliber front brakes. The later versions are mono block four piston and are brembo worthy

·
Registered
607 Posts
Please explain more about the EBC pads not fitting well because that has been my go-to for years on many bikes. Have you published results yet? Anxious to see what you have found!
Do you have a blog or website I can sign up for/support? Thanks!
Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Google "motorcycle brake drag after new pads"and if you spend enough time looking through hundreds of threads — I'm paid to do it soI am a bit obsessive — you'll find something interesting. There are lots of discussions relating to the subject and the reasons that cause it. But what found interesting is that any time a specific brand of pad was mentioned as the main cause of the drag —it wasn't often —it was always an EBC HH. Again the pads were not often mentioned as an issue but when they were I couldn't find single instance of a brand other than the EBC Has pointed to as the culprit or even mentioned in passing.
I only did the research after finding enormous amount of drag from a set of new HHs I bought. having now tested five different sets of pads over the last year, I now feels confident insetting that while EBC's particular formulation of sintered brakes may contribute a little to the issue, the bigger problem is quality control. I can't go much more into this asI am writing an article for Motorcycle Mojo, but let's say it has a little to do with the size of the pad as well as the location of the pin mounting holes.

By the way if you want a set of cheap pads, I have a complete set of Galfer organics —ie 4 pads —and another set of Galfer sintered I will let go for $25 (organic or sintered, not both sintered and organics) plus shipping. If you prefer organics the Galfer versions are really good if a little dusty.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
A slight aside but relevant....
For years I used EBC HH pads on my Beemers and Hondas, always with improved braking and without issue. I installed them front and rear on my 2017 Wee and they work really well, with no drag and are a great improvement over stock, especially the rear brake👍.

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Writing a story of how EBC HH pads don't fit our rotors well. Have tested 5 brake pads so far this year. DP sintered so far the best.
I don't know how they don't fit our bike well. On my 2015 Dl1000 I went through 5 sets of the HH front pads with the only issue being a tendency to squeal when applied at very low speeds when wet.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
Writing a story of how EBC HH pads don't fit our rotors well. Have tested 5 brake pads so far this year. DP sintered so far the best.
I don't know how they don't fit our bike well. On my 2015 Dl1000 I went through 5 sets of the HH front wheel pads with the only issue being a tendency to squeal when applied at very low speeds when wet. Very happy with them and have never had any issue with the brakes dragging apart from one time when a caliper was sticking a bit.

..Tom

·
Registered
607 Posts
Tom

I have had lots of EBCHH brake pads. They most afterwork. But with my recent experience and a scouring of the internet, it seems like they might have a quality control issue. If it were just me I'd petit go, but as I said in the missive whenever a brake pad is mentioned for causing drag ontheinternet, the only culprit is EBC HH. So it's not just. And one thing is so sure,.My EBCs are not dimensionally the same as stock pads or any of the aftermarket padsI Have (which are all dimensionally identical the stockers). Been working oaths for about 8 months, Have swapped out more brake pads than I carets know about (I have swapped the EBCs after each test of the competitor to serif the same problem continues and yes it does).

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
@Motocanada

That's weird!

By different dimensions do you mean thickness or are length, width and shape different? Or are individual pads different from each other?

Weird. I never had any sort of fitting issue on my 2015 DL1000. Now that I think of it I used EBC HH on my 2006 and 2012 DL650's with no issues. I wonder what's going on?

..Tom

·
Registered
607 Posts
Tom

pad depth and ,mounting holes. More than that I cannot say saving for article. But I can say that if you Google "motorcycle brake drag new pads" and are willing to wade through a lot of posts, thinly pad you will have specified is EBC HH. I only found about a 12 references in like a hundred threads and posts, but there was never ever any mention of any brake pad in any such threads I found from any other brands. I can tell you first hand that DP sintered have better feel and more bite than the EBCs. The EBCs are a little better than Galfer sintered. The impressive golfers are the cheap organics which are not that much behind the sintered. Tested all this summer.
David

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have tried Ferodo yet? I thought I saw some for the DL1000 14 and up. I’ve been very pleased with them in racing and daily automotive use over the past 2 decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
There was even a link here Front brake drag

Like all the others, it did not necessarily blame the pads but again every time a pad is even mentioned —on Haybusa, Triumph and other Suzuki forums — it was the EBC Has. I'm not exaggerating. Never heard another pad mentioned.

·
Administrator
13,919 Posts
There was even a link here Front brake drag

Like all the others, it did not necessarily blame the pads but again every time a pad is even mentioned —on Haybusa, Triumph and other Suzuki forums — it was the EBC Has. I'm not exaggerating. Never heard another pad mentioned.
Perhaps it's the biggest selling brake pad? I know in 600,000 km of Strom riding I never thought about another brand.

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
Zero issues with EBC on the Tracer forum, and I never had issues with the recent EBC HH swap out I did on my 650 before I sold it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Understood guys. As i said it appears to be a quality control problem which means it doeskin;t happen every time. Second, if you really care about this issue, please google motorcycle brake drag new pads, and find me a pad other than EBC HH. I'll say please cause i'd be happy to add it to my story. But I already spent about 4 hours scouring too many threads and found only EBC. I have used EBC Hassuccessfully too on a few bikes, but quality control problems, by definition, don't affect every item made. Otherwise, they would not sell any of that product at all.

·
Vendor
5,537 Posts
@Motocanada ,

I know your pain. It's just data. Nothing personal.

Relative to improving your brakes, try de-glazing the pads and rotors. It doesn't cost anything so it doesn't come up much. We are conditioned to think we need to buy something when often the biggest improvement is making sure the factory set up is in best shape.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts