StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my EB brakes today, pulling the old ones out I discovered I could have gone a while longer without changing them. I was unable to see the wear indicators when on the bike, but once out they were easy to see, and still some life left, but since I had them out I decided to swap them anyways. 24,000 km's on the old ones. How long do they usually last?

The pins that hold them in place were pretty scored, is this an item that is frequently replaced? I haven't seen anyone mention about them before.

Watching a youtube vid on replacing pads, the guy put copper grease on the pins as well as on the bolts holding the caliper to the bike. I understand putting it on the pins, since they are kind of a moving part in there (brake pads jostle on it) but wouldn't it make more sense to put loctite on the bolts to the bike?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I installed my EB brakes today, pulling the old ones out I discovered I could have gone a while longer without changing them. I was unable to see the wear indicators when on the bike, but once out they were easy to see, and still some life left, but since I had them out I decided to swap them anyways. 24,000 km's on the old ones. How long do they usually last?

The pins that hold them in place were pretty scored, is this an item that is frequently replaced? I haven't seen anyone mention about them before.

Watching a youtube vid on replacing pads, the guy put copper grease on the pins as well as on the bolts holding the caliper to the bike. I understand putting it on the pins, since they are kind of a moving part in there (brake pads jostle on it) but wouldn't it make more sense to put loctite on the bolts to the bike?
Do not understand why he would grease caliper bolts...they should either be replaced or cleaned, with new medium thread locker applied.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The only caliper carrier attachment bolt problems I've seen are them coming out if not properly torqued.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
It's likely a copper anti-seize that was being used. I don't know what the service manual says about that but I doubt it could hurt.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
"bolt problems I've seen are them coming out if not properly torqued."

Guilty in the first degree. Tighten them suckers!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Copper anti-seize doesn't run when hot. Grease does and can get on your pads. On bolts it acts like a lubricant when torquing so the result is a higher applied torque. Sometimes you don't want higher torque though. On caliper bolts I use it all the time and never had a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts