StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking at replacing my front brake pads and been looking online at different options. I use the bike to commute to work in Australia doing just over 100km a day 6 days a week. Most of it is freeway but about 10km is in traffic on the roads. Do i just go for the pads my local suzuki dealer sells which i dont know what type they are or do i go for after market ones. If so which are the best option Sintered, semi sintered or organic? Obviously i would like the best performance and longest lasting.

Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cheers, Paul -
Sintered pads will give you the longest wear. Semi-Sintered will give you a softer feel--think less initial "grab" when brakes are first applied. Organics will wear the quickest but have a nice, intuitive feel...I use sintered on my 09 Wee and they have held up very well for the past 15-18k miles. Will go with the same when they do wear out! Once you learn to use a gradual application of the brakes (front, in particular) you'll agree that the performance of the fully sintered pads is unmatched. The cost difference is not really that much anyways!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I commute year-round and use kevlar organics from eBay which cost next to nothing. The most important and most commonly neglected factor of brake health is periodically cleaning and greasing the sliding components with actual brake grease. Otherwise they will tend to wear oddly, cause accelerated wear to the pins / clips / disc and may drag. This is especially important if you ride in the rain or dirt a lot.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The stock Suzuki pads are HH. I found this out the first time I replaced them with EBC HH pads. Been using the EBC pads since, mostly because I see no reason to go with anything else. They didn't really provide noticably improved performance over the OEM pads, but they're easy to get and the price is right. I don't see any reason to go with organic pads for reduced wear or better modulation. I have no problem modulating the brakes, and after 60,000 miles my rotors are not showing excess wear. The EBC pads just work. That being said, if it makes it easier to buy pads from your dealer, and the price is right, I don't see a reason not to buy those.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will just go with the dealer pads i think. EBC aren't easy to get hold of in Australia. They cost a mint in postage nearly as much as the pads. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I typically buy OEM brake pads feeling like I will get the best balance of braking and pad/rotor longevity.
This last time I needed pads before a trip. And my local dealer only had EBC HH, so I got those.
They, at least the ones I got do not have the water bar or groove in the pad, so I expect them to suck in the rain for the first couple of times you have to brake. I am expecting more rotor wear. I will be switching back to stock when the EBC wear out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts