StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for brake pads for my 2015 DL650 ABS and I'm having a hard time finding them for my specific bike. I can find them for a DL1000 so here's the question, do they use the same brake pads.

EBC HH

Reactions: ptcaflyer

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Same calipers are also used on the 2nd gen SV650, plenty of options available. EBC numbers should be 229 and 231. OE pads are good too, about $40 per set from most online vendors. 59102- 33870 right side and 59302-33850 left side. 69100-06830 rear.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thanks for the help.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You won't regret HH's. Got them all around on mine. Around $120 bucks though, not cheap.
I've used them for years.

Ordered and on the way.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
For the same price I can get pads and rotors for my Jeep all around. :serious:

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the same price I can get pads and rotors for my Jeep all around. :serious:

They have them, we need them.

I just replaced my tires and that's a tough one also considering how long they last compared to car tires.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happiness is, a good set of brake pads on the motorcycle. I always add EBC HH pads to my motorcycles, replacing the crap general purpose OEM pads. Every time I change them out and go for the first ride I always wonder why these aren't OEM pads instead of the ones they seem to like to use, they're that good. I shouldn't have waited 13,800 miles to change them on the Strom.

·
Registered
686 Posts
There's a post by Greywolf a while back ... seems like the consensus was that EBC FA229HH / EBC FA231HH on the front and EBC FA174 (Organic) on the rear provided the best combo of braking force on the front and control on the rear.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about leaving the OEM pads on the back but having put these HH on other bikes I've never had a problem with rear wheel lockup.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well typically I like OEM parts but the stock Suzuki pads are so expensive no one carries them so I am going to try EBC organics. At half the cost of the OE pads. It's worth it to check em out. I had no issues with the stock pads other than a vague "these sure aren't very aggressive brakes" feeling. But I don't use the DL for canyon carving sporty riding it's mostly around town. With about three sport riding weekends a year.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The stock pads are HH. Available for $40-45 from online vendors of OE parts.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
For my DR650 I've been using the sintered pads off Amazon that are $23 delivered per set with excellent results. They last as long as OEM and stop just as well. This includes my DR650 sidecar rig. I did buy a set for my DL650 but haven't put them on yet until the stockers are worn out. I don't think I'll experience anything different and $25 for a full f/r set what do I have too lose. If they don't feel good throw them out and chalk it up to experience. If they do work (I'm sure they will) I'll have a lot of extra foldin money that I can piss away somewhere else.

https://www.amazon.com/Front-Sintered-Suzuki-V-Strom-2004-2015/dp/B007THCA4G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1524969606&sr=8-8&keywords=DL650+brake+pads

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well... my suspicions about aftermarket pads was confirmed.
I didn't have the luxury of finding new pads since I have a trip coming up very soon and I neglected to check the pads in time...

Anyway I first bought a pair of EBC organicis. Went to put them on and one pad out the package was fouled with paint on the friction surface.
In the mean time while pulling the old pucks out I found out that they are in fact HH.
So I found a set of EBC HH pads. Getting ready to mount them up I find out that the larger of the two pin or slide holes is too small to fit the boss on the caliper body. That got me looking and comparing the two pads together stock HH tockio (sp?) and EBC HH
The stock has sharp edges and defined point where it makes contact with the caliper where the EBC is rounded, almost worn looking.
The stock pads has the rain cut outs the EBC have more friction material but are missing these rain groves. This contributes to the poor initial wet weather braking.

I only had a chance to put about 30 miles on last night and much of that was spent in heat up and cool down cycles but the initial bite is impressive the bike is back to two finger braking, modulation feels great, abs works just the same I did notice more pronounced brake dive on the front. I am guess that is a by product of being able to brake harder and faster vs the stock pads, but by the end of the stock pads life I was getting a lot of lever travel so just firming that up helped a lot.

I got 26k miles out of the stock pads with mostly urban commuting and some sport riding. Very little rain and no mud or even dirt riding.
The calipers were DIRTY and needed some cleaning and scraping and there was some wear present on the caliper pins. I expect only another 25-30k miles before some parts would be best served to be replaced. I should mic the rotor and get a thickness.
Price for the EBC HH pads was $45 at a brick and mortar bike shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts